The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
noskiki6

Half and half long story...

Hi, I have been looking for someone that has done this before, but can't find nothing like that. I have a 1970 c-20 and a 2001 silverado. I want to use the front frame from the c-20 and the other half from the silverado. Yes I know is not the brightest or logical thing to do but that's what I want to do. And yes I'm going to swap the engine transmission and rear diff. That you guy for any info.
noskiki6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: Half and half long story...

There was a guy who used to do this with Duramax front frame sections onto Suburbans to make a Duramax Sub. But that was for the same era trucks. He just did what the factory did for the most part.

But for these old trucks, it makes way more sense to just shorten the late model frame and use both ends of it, basically doing a body swap. What you describe doesn't make much sense to me.

Or even better, just swap the driveline into the early truck and buy aftermarket suspension components. This is always the way to go if you have to ask questions about fab.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
72kool

The question to ask before any answers is why? What is the end goal here
Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Mollzyie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
the question to ask before any answers is why? What is the end goal here

x2
Old 03-08-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
noskiki6

Like I said before is a long story. I have seen this before in the forum where someone ask for help and they are question why they don't go with the same ideas as everyone else. I don't want to sound like an ass, but some of you know what I'm talking about. I'm sorry. Thank you guys.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
72kool

I understand completely how it can be. You have your reasons and then.they are questioned and told they are dumb or completely wrong. I'm sorry if it comes across rudely when I asked. I personally just don't understand why and want to learn something here.

One concern that comes to mind is if the shape and sizes of the two frames would match up very well without a lot of work
Old 03-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
67 chevelle

I think you will find alot of camaro subframe swaps through a search here , I suppose what you want to do is similar , I have seen whole frame swaps from newer model trucks on this site , but not say , firewall forward if that is your intention
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
noskiki6

Hi guy, I was just curious to see if some one else had done it before. The reason of the half and half is not easy to explain. Well let me try. I like my c-20 and I like the fact that in California this truck is not require to pass a smog test. The truck is going to be maintain don't get me wrong. The truck is going to be my daily so I want it to be reliable and comfortable but is just going to be a work truck so I'm not going for the expensive subframe or nothing like that. I have a complete silverado to used as a donor. The reason why I need to use the front end is because of the vin# on the frame. I can modify the suspension but I need to keep the vin#. I know many would think that is going to be harder or even a disaster to try and use the silverado's suspension on my c-20 but I'm going to try I already got it why not try and use it.
I was question when I was going to use a s10 front suspension on my 1967 nova, you guy wouldn't believe the ride on my nova. Sorry!! Like I said before is a long story.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #9
GR8-68

I understand what your saying and I feel about anything can be done these days with the technology we have now. Will it be easy ? Maybe or maybe not I do not know that answer, it may be easier to just swap out the suspension without doing a total frame cut but I am not totally sure how the suspension looks on the silverado.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
72kool

Ok that makes sense as to why. So you want to use all the parts of drivetrain from the Silverado and be able to keep the original frame vin so it matches the cab. I can't say I have Much info off the top my head. Question one is have you measured the frames yet? How close are they? Width between the frame rails, height of the frames, thickness of both? I would say the best place to cut them for your purpose might be right behind the cab so that the cab mounts stay original and don't need changed.

I would also measure how the bed would fit the new frame. When they do full body swaps, the issue is that most times the body sits higher because of the frame shapes and to get the body all lined up the truck usually ends up with about an inch body lift. By using only half the new frame, will the bed be able to line up at all without modifications to the cab and front clip?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
hugger6933

Have you measured the frames? They are stupid close to just what a person would need to use the front clip on the older frame. I have tons of those trucks junked out and thought about using the front frame clip on a 68 long bed I have to gain the power rack and disc brakes and also the LS mounting all in one swoop. I was then gonna use one of those rear end "kits" to put any rear in a 67-72 truck to get the 6 lug and use a posi rear for the later model [I have some of those too]. But when I posted about my idea I was drug over the coals by some and other applauded my idea.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote