The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
reed62

Alternator to Battery connection

Hey all,

I have hooked up my alternator as per this diagram. My question is, what wire hooks to the positive cable pigtail wire? I have hooked an additional 10 gauge wire that runs from the BAT terminal on the back of the alternator to the pigtail wire hanging off the positive cable.

Without it, I am not sure how the battery would ever get recharged.

Am I off?

Randy

Attached Images

Last edited by reed62; 03-16-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added picture
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Alternator to Battery connection

Doesn't the battery cable attach to the starter?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Doesn't the battery cable attach to the starter?
Yes, I got the large cable connected to the battery...but it has a small 3 inch pigtail that hangs off of it with a 10GA butt connector on it. Does it not need to be connected to the battery? My alternator has an internal regulator, but I'm not sure how the juice makes it back to the battery.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Where the Alternator (battery terminal) wire lead attaches to the starter - Does the large battery cable not attach on the same large lug (on the starter)?
Attached Images

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 03-16-2017 at 02:18 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Where the Alternator (battery terminal) wire lead attaches to the starter - Does the large battery cable not attach on the same large lug (on the starter)?
Yep, the large red battery cable hooks to the large lug on the starter. So is that how the Alt send the charge back to the battery? Don't want to appear clueless, but since there is no other visible connection and I am not using an external regulator....
Old 03-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

The stock configuration for 63-66 had the output wire from the alternator running to a main power distribution point (which was the 2 screw terminal bus bar on the horn relay). From there, a main feed wire ran to the cab and another wire ran across the radiator support and connected to the positive battery terminal. The wire from the positive battery terminal over to the distribution point was originally part of the positive battery cable assembly. Replacement battery cables just have that short pigtail with the butt connector so you can splice onto the existing wire.

The configuration for 60-62 was similar except it used the "B" terminal on the generator's external regulator as the main power distribution point.

The diagram posted appears to be for an aftermarket replacement type harness ... not stock for 60-66. That setup is using the large BATT stud on the starter solenoid as the main power distribution point. And therefore doesn't need that pigtail off the positive battery terminal. The only thing to be aware of with that layout is that it won't allow you to hook up a factory battery gauge (ammeter) if you were planning on using one.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
The stock configuration for 63-66 had the output wire from the alternator running to a main power distribution point (which was the 2 screw terminal bus bar on the horn relay). From there, a main feed wire ran to the cab and another wire ran across the radiator support and connected to the positive battery terminal. The wire from the positive battery terminal over to the distribution point was originally part of the positive battery cable assembly. Replacement battery cables just have that short pigtail with the butt connector so you can splice onto the existing wire.

The configuration for 60-62 was similar except it used the "B" terminal on the generator's external regulator as the main power distribution point.

The diagram posted appears to be for an aftermarket replacement type harness ... not stock for 60-66. That setup is using the large BATT stud on the starter solenoid as the main power distribution point. And therefore doesn't need that pigtail off the positive battery terminal. The only thing to be aware of with that layout is that it won't allow you to hook up a factory battery gauge (ammeter) if you were planning on using one.

Okay....that makes sense then. My wiring harness that I got from Speedway Motors is the exact color scheme as the one in the diagram. I will remove that additional wire that I installed. Thanks for all the responses and input....much appreciated...