The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
firecap62

AC Delco vs. redhead steering box

Looking to get a new steering box for the 77 k10. Talked to redhead steering, about 275 for the box. AC Delco price at summit racing is about half that. Anyone have any experience with either one of these? Thanks
firecap62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
tgdoumit

Re: AC Delco vs. redhead steering box

i have one on my TJ. it feels different but works well. one of redhead's things is to put the sector shaft on a lathe, match parts and have a extra set of bearings on the sector shaft.

that being said, mine failed after a little bit. a seal was bad probably from assembly and i didn't notice. almost a year later it really let loose and redhead replaced my steering box quickly. this new one which is a year old now is fine.

i have two close friends running one or more of their steering gears with no complaints.

hope this helps, yup, id buy another.
tim
tgdoumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

Re: AC Delco vs. redhead steering box

I have not used either. I normally go for AC Delco whenever possible, but I had an Autozone steering box (probably Cardone) installed about 40,000 miles ago when I bought my 83 C20 about 15 years ago. I have had no problems with it. Short of rack and pinion steering, I don't think you will get a big difference with any stock steering box.

At the time, I think the core deposit on the old box was about $90 and the new rebuilt box only cost about $110. Prices have changed now, but different vendors will allow different amounts for the steering box core, so I would check that out.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote