The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Will Rotten

Chouteau

Hello all,

I live in Orlando but am originally from Oklahoma. My grandmother gave me my grandfathers 1971 GMC Sierra pickup, 402 BB when I was in my 20's. 17 years ago I parked it on my fathers property and left her for dead in Bartlesville OK.

My grandfathers last name was Chouteau so that's what I'm calling her.

Last weekend I pulled the wheels and am having them powder coated. On my next trip home I'll buy some used tires and get her into my dads shop. He passed away over 4 years ago so I have to come home to help mom on a regular basis and wanted a project for me too.

When I parked her I know she needed a ring job and had a cracked RH manifold. Now cosmetically there is typical rust on the cab and tail gate. When in my 20's I hit a pole in Sonic and crimped the front RH quarter panel. Otherwise just minor dents to some of the trim.

I haven't made any hard plans but I figure first drain all fluids, replace all rubber, plugs, plug wires, points, battery, have the carb rebuilt by someone else and see if she'll start up.

I'm sure I'll have many questions as I am not a mechanic and have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never stopped me before.
Will Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Will Rotten

Re: Chouteau

It's only just begun...
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Bartlesville HS '88 here. I'd like to say that I recognize the place, but all the scrub oak looks the same. Good luck with it.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
pooch

Looks a lot better than mine.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #5
1969c20longhorn

Hello I am new to being a mechanic. I am learning but I have a few questions for yall experienced people. I have a 1969 c15 longhorn with the 8.5 ft bed. I am wanting to restore it for my grandfather. His father bought it brand new in 69. My great grandfather ordered it with and 250 6 cylinder. After he pasted my grandfather put a v8 in it and converted it into a dually. I am just wondering how hard it would be to find the parts to make it original again . Not like matching numbers or anything just period correct. Also what is it worth now and if I fully restored it. It has been a farm truck it's whole life so it's beat up some but has no rust. Thanks for any input.
1969c20longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Will Rotten

Good luck Longhorn. I too am new to this. I've done basic stuff on cars and more deep things on motorcycles but my dad did all the mechanics for me. Now I have to learn more than how to not shine the light in his eyes.