The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Texas bonded title help

Ok I found a blazer body without a title and the price is right to start a ground up build for my 11 year old little boy. I have a k5 myself and as a result I have a ton of parts. I have an nos hood nos front fenders 86 core support. Etc. I could do a 2wd frame for under 200. If I indeed go this route through my reasearch I've found that I can do a complete 5.3/6l80e for around 2500-3500. Needless to say this would be extremely cost effective for his first car. I'm thinking we could do the complete build under 10k. All that being said that does me no good if I can't get it titled. Can I get a bonded title for this truck. If I can what are the steps to do it. Thank you guys in advance.
Attached Images

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Texas bonded title help

go to dmv an file for a lost title may cost few hundred bucks an weeks to get
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:59 AM   #3
Nick_R_23

I'm unsure if the process where you are is 100% like is it here, but generally with a bonded title, you get the vehicle appraised, post a 150% bond, and have the vehicle inspected.

For example, if the vehicle appraises for $1000, you will be required to submit the appraisal plus 150% of the appraised value to the DMV ($1500). The vehicle must also be brought to the DMV for the purpose of VIN inspection. Some DMVs may also require the vehicle to be fully operational and road legal to pass inspection. Once all these conditions are met, you will be presented with a vehicle title. Obviously this process may vary from state to state, but that is how a bonded title works here.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
go to dmv an file for a lost title may cost few hundred bucks an weeks to get
Only the registered owner of a vehicle may file for a lost title. If the person who currently owns the Blazer never had it registered in his or her name, they cannot file for a lost title, only the owner shown on DMV records will be able to do that. You may be able to do a title search and get the registered owners info, track them down, and convince them to file for a lost title and then sign it over to you. Otherwise, you are stuck with options such as filing for your Surety Bond or abandoned vehicle title.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Do you know anyone who owns a storage lot or body shop? They are very familiar with the process. I prefer that route.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Yes I actually do. That's where I'll be storing it until I can get rolling in it. Thank you sir

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
andyh1956

We used to have a 2wd Blazer & we really enjoyed it, I'm sure your son will also. I have a junk 4wd Blazer I'm gonna rob axles from if you need anything holler.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
69heavychevy

you could have the place where your going to store it file a lien on the title. If nobody comes forward to claim it then they can take ownership and then transfer the title over to you.
Like a previous poster stated, they should be very familiar with the process.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #9
69heavychevy

theres also title hearings, its cheaper and faster, but those are near impossible to get for common folks...
Old 04-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im moving this to general discussion to see if you get more definitive answers

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Bigdav160

I haven't done it....yet.

C&P for a website:

Quote:
In order to qualify, you must be:

a Texas resident, or
Military personnel stationed in Texas, or
Have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas.

The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or if a motorcycle, a frame and motor.

If you meet the above eligibility requirements you may take or mail the following documents and a $15.00 administrative fee to the nearest TxDMV Regional Service Center:

A Statement of Fact for Bonded Title (Form VTR-130-SOF)
Any supporting evidence of ownership (Bill of Sale, Invoice, Cancelled Check, etc.)
Acceptable photo ID

Out of State Vehicles

If the applicant is a Texas resident, but the evidence indicates that the vehicle is an out-of-state vehicle, the vehicle identification number must be verified by a Texas certified Safety Inspection Station (Vehicle Inspection Report).

Upon Approval

If your documents are approved, you will be issued a letter stating the amount of the bond equal to 1½ times the value of the vehicle. The department will determine the value of the vehicle using:

The Standard Presumptive Value (SPV) from our web site as the primary source
If a SPV is not available, National Auto Dealers Association (NADA) reference guide will be used, or
If a value is not available either through SPV or NADA, a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance adjuster may appraise the vehicle on a form provided by TxDMV (Form VTR-125).

For Vehicles 25 Years Old or Older

TxDMV will determine and assign the bond value
Appraisals less than $4,000 will not be accepted
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Some of the best title advice I've received came from a couple sources.

1) Call your states DMV and speak with the title department.
2) Talk to a friend that owns a used car dealership, or find a friend of a friend that owns one.
3) Talk to the owner of a towing company. Towing companies get stuck with cars from time to time and need titles in order to dispose of the cars.

I learned more from numbers 2 and 3 than anywhere else.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
Some of the best title advice I've received came from a couple sources.

1) Call your states DMV and speak with the title department.
2) Talk to a friend that owns a used car dealership, or find a friend of a friend that owns one.
3) Talk to the owner of a towing company. Towing companies get stuck with cars from time to time and need titles in order to dispose of the cars.

I learned more from numbers 2 and 3 than anywhere else.
when i lived in indiana i had a hook up on just getting a mechanics lien on cars with no titles. just took like 3 months and $200 now that im illinois theres really no shortcut. i kinda ran into the same issue with my 52 chevy truck but i just found a cab with a title that was in better shape then the one i had so i just went that way.

theres a way to get a title through vermont but cost a bit of money heres the video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sW...Val6MQ&index=3

only thing that sucks is they go off the NADA value on my pos rusty ol truck was valued at like 6500 and i would have had to pay almost 500 bucks. the cab with title and extra parts costed me $600
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
tmoreau

I had to get a bonded title for my blazer. The title was ripped in half and wasn't signed correctly. So i took it to the DMV with bill of sale. They gave me a letter that i took to the bond company next door. I paid the ~ $150 for the bond. then took the letter and all that bond stuff to courthouse, paid taxes, applied for boned title, and got it in the mail 2 weeks later. it wasnt complicated. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

I saw that blazer and thought about buying it for parts for mine...you must live close!
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote