The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
gman

Power steering hoses

Is the return hose on the power steering a special hose? Is it preformed and made of special material or is it just fuel line. Napa lists it as a specific hose. I swear the line on my truck looks like fuel line. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
cableguy0

just replace it with transmission hose actually and use clamps make sure they are tight. now if the pressure side is busted you need to get the premade hose so it doesnt spew fluid all over the place
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
gman

Now that you mention the pressure side, how does it go on? Mine looks in good shape but i might replace it along with the return line while I'm at it. It doesn't just clamp on in any way does it?
Old 10-19-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Pressure line will have screw type fittings on both ends.

Return line is just hose and clamps. Beware though, you can't use fuel hose, or it will swell. You need hose that will tolerate the fluid, like tranny hose as said above.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
gman

I haven't taken the pressure line off yet, but how do they go on? Do the end fittings screw and unscrew from the hard line? What do you use to remove the pressure line end fittings? Do you just hand tighten and remove them? Sorry, but I've never done it before.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #6
cableguy0

there should be a nut where the line screws into the power steering box and into the power steering pump loosen and remove those nuts the line will come out as a whole assembly but your gonna need a line wrench and soak the fitting in pb blaster for a while in hope of getting them out without stripping them. go get the new line b4 you take the old one off and you will be able to understand better what im talkin about
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:19 PM   #7
gman

Gotcha! Makes sense. I'll soak'em tonight in PB Blaster and find my line wrenches and see if they will loosen. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #8
cableguy0

no problem glad i could help let em soak over night cuz if they have been there a while you will thank yourself when you go to get the fittings out