The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Help me value this truck

I've been wanting an old truck for awhile and I saw this one yesterday and called and will be meeting him in a day or two when he's back in town. I know it's hard to say what somethings worth but you guys and gals are into these and iam sure know more than me. I really like 64-66 chevy better but this one has alot of the dirty work done and it's my birth year and I like that .please if you want it let me be first in line lol. Thanks and a big hello from Montana. Charlie

https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/6075248841.html
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
ElKotze

Re: Help me value this truck

Don't know, I kinda like it. Not perfect, but definitely some time and money invested. I would say, if you can get it for 10, that would be a killer buy.
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
geezer#99

I'd pass on it.
You gotta ask why the 4 wheel discs and he kept the 6 bolt wheels.
If you want a 64-66 then there's lots around you.
Here's two of many.
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/6003969785.html

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/6034856530.html
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I'd pass on it.
You gotta ask why the 4 wheel discs and he kept the 6 bolt wheels.
If you want a 64-66 then there's lots around you.
Here's two of many.
https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/6003969785.html

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/6034856530.html
Would you mind explaining what that means? I've never had or dealt with chevy rear ends and don't know the pitfalls. Thanks for the links. I want a better than project truck. I don't have to much time for another project right now. I guess I was thinking 8-10k but maybe more for a close truck? I dunno. Thanks charlie
Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
geezer#99

Stock that truck had 6 bolt wheels. He upgraded to disc brakes in the front and rear and kept the six bolt wheels. Most people who upgrade like that will install 5 bolt hubs so they have a better choice of available wheels. There are more 5 bolt wheels available than six bolt.
What exactly are your skills?
Can you time your motor for example? Or tune your carb.
If not then an almost stock motored truck is what you need.
No sense buying a truck you can't use.

There's a lot more better suited trucks out there near you for half his price.
Like this one.
https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/6070332543.html
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Pinchecharlie

I have built a few cars but never a chevy lol iam ok with a carb I guess, my latest project is getting a ls . I have an old target master I built for another project laying around I could use too. My problem is time. I want a old truck for fun and as advertising for my honey business in the summer. I am a beekeeper and think it would look awesome for an old truck with hand lettered signs on the doors. But I don't really want a project that's why I thought since the chassis was done it might be a good candidate. I have a 5.3 and a 4l80e and a small turbo set up that would be fun in a old chevy? Two jobs two kids big place to take care of, so just dreams lol. Heres the ford I started a couple of years ago. I chopped it. Small channel. It's gotta stupid g-body clip and bags (bad idea, the clip that is) nine inch blah blah. I have all the parts waiting patiently for me in the shop lol! Thanks I'll research it a bit more.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
truckster

I personally like 6 lugs on trucks, so that wouldn't be a downside for me.

I think the work that was done on the truck looks like it was very thorough. I would think $10k would be a good price for that. I'd definitely want to do something with that saddle blanket seat cover, though.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
hewittca

I'm not sure why keeping it 6 lug is really an issue if that's what the owner wanted. I am doing a disk conversion on my truck and am also keeping it 6 lug specifically because of the wheels I wanted on it. There are quite a few popular wheels out that come in 6 lug, specifically all the steel wheels that are really hot right now.

As far as price goes on that truck, I think it's probably fair, but would be a great deal at $10-11k. It looks really nice, but it's nothing too wild. That truck looks like it started off in very similar condition to mine before he started work on it, so that's about a $5k base truck. Then add a run of the mill GM crate motor, 700r4, rebuilt rear, and all new disk brakes on a freshened up frame and you're probably right at $12k total invested. You personally could build the same truck for the same amount, or just buy this one, but you certainly couldn't have one built for you for that price. Overall, I think if it's set up like you want and you don't have time for the project aspect, then it's a good deal.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Pinchecharlie

Yeah I was going to offer 8500 but that's probably an insult. 10k doesn't seem bad if it's legit. I have that much in my chassis and even a run of the mill sbc/overdrive will cost a couple thousand or more actually if its nice. Ill go check it out. I really like this one but my guts says its a money pit. But i like it lol! He wont budge under 6k. I offered him 4500 and a new rebuilt engine and he saod first 6k grts it. Probably just the art photos lol!
https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/6074419536.html
Old 04-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #10
hewittca

Yeah I think 8500 is way too low for that truck. I think even 10k would be pushing it, but it's worth a shot. It's a good starting point on your end anyway. As for that other truck, I like it too! And to be honest, that's a pretty good price.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #11
bhayes1

I think that truck would be sweet for 10k. Fresh 350 with an OD tranny...If you were to buy a truck and tear it down to the frame you would end up with 10k or more plus a ton of time.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Yeah I think 8500 is way too low for that truck. I think even 10k would be pushing it, but it's worth a shot. It's a good starting point on your end anyway. As for that other truck, I like it too! And to be honest, that's a pretty good price.
68 is my birth year so that's a +
Paint looks like a attempt at patina gone kinda bad that's-
Chassis looks really nice but I don't know these trucks/parts and the stock control arms are just that stock + or -?
Think it perfect for the theme +

Now the 66 is just sweet to look at+
It has a pull out drive train could be good could be real bad-
Has new rear end +
Said it needs new coils up front?-
Don't know 64-66 control arms or spindle or problems but I know you can swap front ends on these trucks easy right? Costs?
Seems the 66 is about 5k away from being at the same place as the 68?
I wish I had time-
You can pick these trucks up for 1500 as rollers or tired original trucks around here!

Which one should I buy?
Go with looks and plan to spend money or be more practical?
Ugh wish my wife wouldn't flip out and I could just but a 25k done truck lol!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
67/Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Stock that truck had 6 bolt wheels. He upgraded to disc brakes in the front and rear and kept the six bolt wheels. Most people who upgrade like that will install 5 bolt hubs so they have a better choice of available wheels. There are more 5 bolt wheels available than six bolt.
What exactly are your skills?
Can you time your motor for example? Or tune your carb.
If not then an almost stock motored truck is what you need.
No sense buying a truck you can't use.

There's a lot more better suited trucks out there near you for half his price.
Like this one.
https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/6070332543.html
Looks like a killer truck with 6 bolt wheels, still plenty choices out there for wheels, 6 bolt wheels should not be the deal killer, sometimes this board amazes me with all the knowledge, sometimes I just don't know...........even if your truck is stock, you will from time to time need to set your timing and even longer intervals will need to rebuild your carb, (which is not "rocket surgery", but not every one knows how to do a rebuild a carb). Indulge on if you are looking at purchasing, its cause you have some extra cash, ..........bid and enjoy, trust me the basics are done, paint and upholstery will be minimal as long as the majority of the body is healthy from major rust, compared to the price tag to do what has already been done.

Last edited by 67/Heaven; 04-09-2017 at 12:34 PM.
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67/Heaven View Post
Looks like a killer truck with 6 bolt wheels, still plenty choices out there for wheels, 6 bolt wheels should not be the deal killer, sometimes this board amazes me with all the knowledge, sometimes I just don't know...........even if your truck is stock, you will from time to time need to set your timing and even longer intervals will need to rebuild your carb, (which is not "rocket surgery", but not every one knows how to do a rebuild a carb). Indulge on if you are looking at purchasing, its cause you have some extra cash, ..........bid and enjoy, trust me the basics are done, paint and upholstery will be minimal compared to the price tag to do what has already been done.
Just out of curiosity, why did gm change from 6 to 5? Was it a performance thing? Are the axles compatible with the housings and or carriers? I guess iam asking besides wheel pattern why? Can you not adapt the pattern? Back then if it was super high performance it was a Chrysler rear end anyway right. I have another 9 inch laying around but this for me isn't a performance/hp thing. Just a cruiser. Sorry I just don't have time now to read all the stickies. I know there arentbmany performance cars with chevy rear ends lol. I think I'll make him an offer and be ok passing if he doesn't take it. Lots of stuff in the world for 10k . Bought a 4 post lift off a guy with 20k in a 60s hover craft half finished in his garage lol!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
GR8-68

I like both of them and think they are both priced very fairly

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
Arnulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
I have built a few cars but never a chevy lol iam ok with a carb I guess, my latest project is getting a ls . I have an old target master I built for another project laying around I could use too. My problem is time. I want a old truck for fun and as advertising for my honey business in the summer. I am a beekeeper and think it would look awesome for an old truck with hand lettered signs on the doors. But I don't really want a project that's why I thought since the chassis was done it might be a good candidate. I have a 5.3 and a 4l80e and a small turbo set up that would be fun in a old chevy? Two jobs two kids big place to take care of, so just dreams lol. Heres the ford I started a couple of years ago. I chopped it. Small channel. It's gotta stupid g-body clip and bags (bad idea, the clip that is) nine inch blah blah. I have all the parts waiting patiently for me in the shop lol! Thanks I'll research it a bit more.
Nice work on the chop top!
Arnulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
Pinchecharlie

Sorry should have thanked everyone for their positive input! Old cars are a mixed blessing for sure but I've been messing with them and messing them up for 35 years or more lol! Tuning a gen 1 sbc isn't a problem and iam lucky to have worked for awhile in a engine machine shop building high performance sbc for drag and circle track racing. I am not Barry Grant but a basic carb overhaul/tune is doable for anyone willing to try. I love sheet metal and I've been several times in my life to covell workshops and just recently to a Winfield seminar. Never got that good but I can pull off (with some mud lol!) Pretty complicated pieces. My 49 has about 1/2 new metal in it and I never once bought a patch panel. I think these projects are fun but better suited to the wealthy or young with lots of time. I brought a 32 5 window back to life in my twenties under the blue sky garage but I drank lots of beer then and had all the time in the world lol! My real dream is to hand bend and fabricate in total a front engine dragster. I made it as far as a frame jig before I realized it was just not the life for it this life. My wife says maybe when I retire. I say who wants to be building a dragster when they are 80 lol! Thanks again for the gracious responses and thanks for bieng civil. Many forums these days are filled with trolls just looking for a fight. Cheers charlie
Old 04-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #18
jocko

It's in the ballpark of asking price IF, and only if, you want exactly what he's selling. It's advertised as a "rust-o-rod" - seller's words, not mine. If you truly like it how it is - then it's a decent deal - you're right, much of the hard work is done, it's ready to go if you plan to leave the visuals as they are. However, in your opening statement about kinda liking 64-66 better... well, I think you've answered your own question on this truck. Birth year or not, go with the year group you prefer unless funds and space are unlimited. But if they were, well, you wouldn't be asking us about it! Ha. Anyway - I've owned trucks in both eras, and I truly like them both a lot, but if you know you like the earlier years, wait for what you want. I di "git" the patina thing, but for some reason prefer a patina truck in the swb version only. Weird, but that's me. Not a fan of lowered longbeds - but, again, that's just me, some people love em - so if this meets all your wickets, jump on it, the price is fair.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
OARNGESI

I personally wouldnt go over $7500 tops
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
Pinchecharlie

[QUOTE=OARNGESI;7910906]I personally wouldnt go
How come ? For arguments sale. Thanks Charlie
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #21
OARNGESI

[quote=Pinchecharlie;7910973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
I personally wouldnt go
How come ? For arguments sale. Thanks Charlie
It's a nice rolling chassis but do you ever plan to paint it redo the interior upgrade the wheels and tires . How much does a nice lwb bring in your area.
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote