The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
ScottH

Help - pilot bearing problem

A friend of mine is having a problem with a new pilot bearing he just installed in a Pontiac 428. The problem he is having is now that the bronze pilot bearing is in (tight fit), the trans (Muncie 4 speed) input shaft point will not fit in the center hole. He checked it before installing it and it was fine, but now that the pilot bearing is in, it appears that the hole is too small.

Can anyone offer ideas or suggestions as to what he should do next (another pilot bearing, wrong size, etc.)? The engine was completely rebuilt and he wants to install it, but of course needs to get this right before he drops it in the car.

Any help, suggestions, info, etc. is really appreciated.

Thanks.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
Gordo

Perhaps the bearing was damaged during the install. I would pull it and replace it with a new one. They are cheap enough. I use an old pilot shaft from a junk trans as a install tool and it also doubles as a clutch alignment tool.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Nebulous tip,

If you go to the GM dealer and ask for a 6.5 diesel pilot bearing, it is a BEARING, not a bushing. Works better. Cheap, interchanges with the bushing.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

I had a similiar problem on my 65 Impala with the M-22 transmission only I had the transmission installed. The bushing was tight enough to keep the transmission turning when the clutch was depressed and shifting was a real problem.

The solution was a roller bearing that I got from Summit racing,
price was not too bad, ($12), especially since it fixed my problem!

Tx firefighter has given good advise!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Just to idiot check the new one, make sure it will slip up on the input shaft before installing it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:03 AM   #6
ScottH

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Krue, he checked the pilot bearing before install and it was fine.

Jim, prior to installing the brass one, he tried to install an after market roller bearing like you mentioned. Unfortunately this one cam apart during the install.

TX firefighter / Gordo - thanks for the great advise - I'll pass it onto him.

BTW, what is the best way to remove the PB he installed should he decide to try again?

Thanks again.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
palallin

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottH

BTW, what is the best way to remove the PB he installed should he decide to try again?

Find a bolt a little smaller in diameter than the hole. Make up the difference by wrapping tape around the threads.

Fill the shaft hole int he bearing with grease. Insert the bolt into the hole and tap in wiht a hammer. The grease will be forced behind the bearing and force it out as the bolt goes in. You may need to add grease during the process.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #8
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

If it is a tight fit the grease trick will not work. I had to cut out mine. It is bronze so it is soft.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:15 PM   #9
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

I have used pallen's method a lot and never had one that would not come out, (except when they were badly worn). I use a pilot shaft and really heavy grease, (NLGI 0).

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Check with some of the parts places. They make a regular pilot bearing remover that you hook to a slide hammer to remove it.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:57 PM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I tap the bushing with a 5/8-18 NF tap, then use the center bolt from my balancer puller to walk the bushing out....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:43 PM   #12
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

Since the pilot bearing is soft. I remove all of them using a long bolt and I taper the end small enough to get it started in the hole. The steel bolt threads will self tap the bearing on the way in and when the bolt contacts the crankshaft the bearing removes itself. I would say that it appears the pilot bearing is slightly to large on the od. Since the material is soft when it is driven in it causes the id to squeeze the transmission input shaft. I would make sure that the crankshaft recess is totally cleaned out and the input shaft is polished. I would measure the id of the crankshaft and the od of the pilot bearing. There should be a small amount of interference but I would think it is only in the couple of ten thousands range. You could dress the outside of the pilot bearing as necessary to get the size you need or better yet take your mic/dial caliper with you to measure the od. I would think this may be a time that the dealer could be a solution. Their quality control is probably much better on things like this.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote