The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Zeroman

Door Stuck...

Well, cr@p!

While adjusting the passenger side door this after noon I was attempting to get the top of the door and the bottom of the door to line up with the cab at the back of the door.

I took off my push on door seals and adjusted the door striker plate "in" a little bit, then shut the door fairly hard. I heard two clicks

The door is fully against the cab with no further play inwards, and now the door latch is not functional.

Luckily I do not have the door panels on yet, and I have an extra latch to compare to. The latch appears to be working properly with no broken parts, or broken springs.

The door lock lever is operating properly and is unlocked. The outside door handle is operating properly, as well as the inside door latch control.

I have the latch release mechanism wired tied so the lever is not engaging the "latch gear"....the large gear which engages the door striker plate.

At this point there should be nothing engaging the large gear at the door striker plate.

I guess the only thing left would be the plastic spring loaded piece on the door striker plate which would be pushing down on the door latch.

Anyone got any other ideas, or advice?
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
terry b

Re: Door Stuck...

I think the pressure on the latch from the door being tight steel to steel is what is not letting the latch release. Try to hold the door handle button in and pound the door with the palm of your hand at the latch not hard enough to dent the door but a pretty good wack.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
Zeroman

Re: Door Stuck...

Well, I got it open.

See, the darn thing is all newly painted and I just could not beat on it with a hammer.

So I got my softest soled tennis shoes and gave it a good swift stomp while laying down across the seat.

I managed not to scratch the paint.

Winning!
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote