The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

3/4 ton suburban -> 1/2 ton? lowering? options?

Here is my problem: I have a '71 C20 suburban with coil rear suspension. It is in excellent shape, which is the only reason I am considering this. (Check out the pictures in the sub forum). I would really like to do a 2.5/5 inch drop on it. So, as I understand it, my options are:

1) Hack or heat the stock springs to get the drop I want. I really don't think this is an option since, it will probably screw up the ride and isn't the right way to do it.

2) Get the C20 to C10 conversion spindles from ECE and swap in a new rear axle. From their catalog it looks like they don't make the drop conversion spindle for the '71+, only stock height. Anyone know the deal there?

3) Possibly swap in the front end from a 73-87 1/2 ton truck and swap in a new rear axle. Then get drop spindles and lowering springs. Can this be done with minimal fab work? I see conflicting posts on the board about this. I could probably find donor truck cheap if I was to go this way.

4) Find a 1/2 ton 71-72 chassis (so I don't have to do a disk brake upgrade too) and swap the front and rear in under my sub. Then get drop spindles and lowering springs. Will this work? Or, are there differences in the frame, etc? Finding a cheap 1/2 ton chassis with disk brakes might be impossible or pricey.

5) Try to find a sub that is in as good of shape as this one, but 1/2 ton. Probably the best, but I don't think it is going to happen, and not for the deal on got on this one.

Are there other options? What do you guys think is the best way to go? Or how about the cheapest way to go? Should I just forget about this, get some sweet 8 lug wheels, and leave the sub stock?
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

After some further investigation, I think these two articles outline the best way to go:

Rear end swap

C-20 to C-10 conversion

Now, I just need to find a 12 bolt rear, and I will be in business.
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote