The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
rwrusso

K10 Not Starting

Hey all, I'm trying to get a 1969 K10 running so I can sell it. The truck was running recently, needed a jump in a Home Depot parking lot, it drove home, and now won't start. Won't take a jump. Apologies if this is not the right place to post this, but instead of searching the internet for answers, I figured this may be a better place to start. So...any ideas/suggestions where to start? I'm not a car guy, but fairly mechanically inclined, so hopefully I can get this issue sorted out and fixed in my driveway. Thanks.
rwrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
robs71

Re: K10 Not Starting

The fact you needed a jump and it ran fine up till this leads to an electrical issue...Probably minor such as the battery was on its way out and could now be bad all together such as an internal short..swap out battery with a good one or if you do not have any laying around take yours to the local auto parts store and have it checked out,,most can do this in house plus you are right there for a new one and most likely will get 15-20 bucks credit for the core...
Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
rwrusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs71 View Post
The fact you needed a jump and it ran fine up till this leads to an electrical issue...Probably minor such as the battery was on its way out and could now be bad all together such as an internal short..swap out battery with a good one or if you do not have any laying around take yours to the local auto parts store and have it checked out,,most can do this in house plus you are right there for a new one and most likely will get 15-20 bucks credit for the core...

Agreed, I'm thinking electrical, but we swapped in a new battery and it still didn't jump.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
robs71

wipers,lights,all good just sitting there without running??solid 12.5 volts at battery..have you checked with volt meter??Have someone turn key to try and start while you watch volt meter at battery.If it is an automatic could be neutral safety switch....to bypass factory starting system...you can check to see if it is the starter by hooking up a bypass starter switch...Run a temporary wire from 12 v pos at battery to a toggle switch and the other end to the small terminal at starter (S terminal)..toggle acts as starter button now you can see if it is the starter or something else......picture is of the stock starting system just for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by robs71; 05-01-2017 at 03:27 PM.
robs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
rwrusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs71 View Post
wipers,lights,all good just sitting there without running??solid 12.5 volts at battery..have you checked with volt meter??Have someone turn key to try and start while you watch volt meter at battery.If it is an automatic could be neutral safety switch....to bypass factory starting system...you can check to see if it is the starter by hooking up a bypass starter switch...Run a temporary wire from 12 v pos at battery to a toggle switch and the other end to the small terminal at starter (S terminal)..toggle acts as starter button now you can see if it is the starter or something else......picture is of the stock starting system just for reference.
Yeah, electrical accessories are working. Just get nothing when turning the key. I will check with a volt meter though, haven't done that yet. It is an auto.