The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
wpavlis

brake drums

Does anyone make a brake drum that can hold the factory spring? I am about to redo my front brakes and have a feeling the drums may need to be replaced. They are still riveted to the hubs. Thanks,

Bill
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
GRX

Re: brake drums

Anti-vibration spring around outside of drum you mean? Unnecessary so not included any more.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
dmjlambert

What changed in the engineering of the drums to make the anti-vibration spring unnecessary? I would be kind of disappointed to put new drums on and end up with howling brakes.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
wpavlis

I am curious about this as well. I read several admittedly old threads about how important the Anti-vibration springs were. I will say that the new NAPA drums I installed on the rear are thicker and heaver than the stock ones they replaced. I purchased them prior to reading up so I figured I could just change them out later if it was a problem. If in fact it makes a difference I would rather just get the correct ones for the fronts. I probably won't tear into them for at least a few weeks so I have time to order something if I need to.
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
What changed in the engineering of the drums to make the anti-vibration spring unnecessary? I would be kind of disappointed to put new drums on and end up with howling brakes.
Shoe liner material is what has changed. I have replaced drums (front & back) on several older vehicles and never had squealing problems.

They can be better described as harmonic dampeners. Drums and rotors on the lathe have to be wrapped with thick rubber straps for the same reason. Will sing like a bell if turned while naked.

Here are the drums I got from NAPA for my '69 c10. Nearly identical to the original units. Guess one could try transferring the springs over if so inclined.
Attached Images