The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
C63

108 in Phoenix today

My truck is a black 63 stepper. The 230L6's cam gear shattered last year and rather than address the possible damage, I chose to go with the $1,500 Goodwrench 350. Bolted up to a T-5 out of an 85 z-28. Finishing off the long block, I went with the Marh pulley system pn. 6070 which has 2v crank, 1v alt, 1v water pump. Drivers side alt, they said it would work when I decided to add AC. Went with a Brothers 4 core radiator and their electric fan. Ive decided to go back to a mechanical fan. SO, question is, well, when did hot rodding get so expensive?? I found a serpentine system that I like. The Front Runner from Vintage Air. Then I saw the price. Now I'm back to the pick yard. Can one just strip the entire front system including AC, brackets, hoses etc? How far back would you have to go? Do I need to get the donor heater core? What components from inside the cab? I daily drive the thing and last summer somehow I made it with no ac, but the extra pounds from over the winter and being a year older mixed in with bad traffic has made for an uncomfortable ride.
C63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
jb9281

Re: 108 in Phoenix today

I got a serp system off a 94 chevy truck. Make sure you use a new reverse rotation water pump from the same engine. works like a champ
jb9281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
C63

Thanks JB. I do remember a thread on here in which a "Dirty Larry" had opined that the early ones didn't hold up as well and also didn't come with the delphi compressor. I mainly was wondering why so many seem to spend thousands on these serp. systems instead of the junk yard. Could it merely be for the looks? I figured it must be a hard thing. what about the AC? can a guy grab all the parts, recharge and go?
C63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
jb9281

What ac system are you using? I have vintage air and I purchased a bracket from them to use the sadden compressor. I changed the alternator to a one wire and also purchased a rebuilt ps pump. also purchased a rebuilt reverse
rotation water pump.
Attached Images

jb9281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
64shortbox

C63,
I can't help you with the serpentine belt system. I also want to add a serpentine system to my 64 - the ONLY reason I haven't done it is because I want to get Everything off the same vehicle and I'm so cheap that I wait for 1/2 off days at Pick N Pull to buy my junk and so far I haven't found a complete system on their 1/2 off days. My truck was built with junk yard stuff.

Would you mind telling me why you want to a mechanical fan set up? I live in the central valley of Communist California and while it doesn't get up to 123 deg. like I've experienced in Phoenix, triple digits aren't uncommon here. I went from a mechanical fan to an electric fan - more specifically a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan tripped through a Volvo relay - bought, you guessed it on 1/2 off days at Pick N Pull. Sitting in the drive through with the A/C on, motor idling my truck would start to get hot unless I revved the motor to bring up the fan speed. When I bought my truck the Vintage Air was already installed & operational.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #6
Warrens69GMC

not bad considering all new...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...make/chevrolet
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
nail pounder

This may be an ignorant question but why the reverse water pump? I've been trying to decide if I want to add AC for a few years now. Is that because of the serpentine set up? I assumed I could just move my alt and keep the v groove but maybe I'm mistaken.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
64shortbox

nail pounder,
You're correct - the only reason for the reverse rotation water pump is if you're adding a serpentine setup. You can definitely add A/C and keep your V drive pulleys & belts. If you do add A/C you don't have to use the cheesy plastic A/C vents that come with the kit there are a lot of options out there for good looking vents now. CorvetteJim and others now offer nice A/C vents for our trucks. Unfortunately for me that wasn't the case when I was working on mine. I grabbed my A/C vents from a 64 Chrysler.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:22 AM   #9
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
nail pounder,
You're correct - the only reason for the reverse rotation water pump is if you're adding a serpentine setup. You can definitely add A/C and keep your V drive pulleys & belts. If you do add A/C you don't have to use the cheesy plastic A/C vents that come with the kit there are a lot of options out there for good looking vents now. CorvetteJim and others now offer nice A/C vents for our trucks. Unfortunately for me that wasn't the case when I was working on mine. I grabbed my A/C vents from a 64 Chrysler.
Good info, thanks!
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
63burban
Chevy addict

I installed a complete serpentine system off a 91 Suburban. I used the compressor, ps pump, and alt off the 91 with vintage ac
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote