The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
nevada

power steering quick ratio or not

am bringing my 72 C20 to a shop this week to have a power steering system installed......now, one shop that has wrenched on my vehicles for 15 yrs recommends I go with a quick ratio unit. But a different shop that specializes in vehicle restorations said if it's going to be a daily driver, that I should stick with a original rebuilt steering box, only recommended a quick ratio if I was doing custom work, high performance, racing, driving hard, etc. but for a casual daily driver, stick with the original replacement.

what do you guys think?
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Greg58

Re: power steering quick ratio or not

For driveability I would prefer the quick ratio, a lot of late model trucks have these boxes and are easier to turn in parking lots etc.
If you want your truck 100% stock original, then keep the one period correct.

Greg
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
skytop

I built up a '56 F100 and installed a new variable rate power steering box (from Jegs). It was much faster that stock but was more relaxed steering straight to reduce fatigue and touchiness. It make a 1000% improvement in the driveabiltiy of the truck.

I am going to make the same improvement to my '72 next.

Last edited by skytop; 05-06-2017 at 03:39 PM.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
I ... installed a new variable rate power steering box ... It make a 1000% improvement in the driveabiltiy of the truck.
That may be. However, not everyone likes the thought of variable "rate" assisted/power steering. By that I think you mean the ratio varies and I understand this is an option and sometimes even standard equipment on new vehicles. Many folk out there, myself included, don't like the idea at all.

If the ratio varies, even if it follows some easy to understand pattern, the driving characteristics of the vehicle also vary. If a driver needs to make very quick and very precise steering input often, even on purpose, he/she is not going to be a fan.

I enjoy sliding my vehicles around on wet and dry all year long ( think drifting ). Yes I use the clutch and throttle to induce power oversteer a lot. I'm also very alert and ready to handle the steering in exactly the manner necessary to prevent collision or crashing when something or someone else necessitates the same maneuvers.

Variable ratio steering gear doesn't seem to fit well here.

Maybe a lake-bed-flat or dragstrip driver would want one ratio below 150MPH and another above 200MPH? But a daily driver?

Go with the quick ratio. Much easier to drive and slide ( think drifting ).

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold

Last edited by weq92f; 05-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
davepl

Variable ratio is the way to go. Much nicer to drive. Take 20 seconds to get used to it.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Here are the steering ratios for 2015 pickups.
STEERING RATIOS: GM 16.3:1. Ford 17.0:1 Ram 19.1:1
Compared with our stockers which I believe are 20:1 or 24:1 depending if you have power steering or not. Most cars today are in the 16 to 12 ratios. Variable ratio is a love it or hate it thing. If you're leaning that way but, haven't lived with a variable ratio box try renting or borrowing a car for a weekend and put a hundred miles on it.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
nevada

guess I don't know enough about variable ratio? I like the idea but have read some bad reviews on Summit Racing website of owners claiming it changes abruptly from 16-1 to 13-1 instantly and can suddenly change feedback in a corner........don't like the thought of that. maybe they got a bad box? I would think if it gradually changed the ratio as you turn, I would like that.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
dmjlambert

The old-fashioned slow ratio steering wheel is one of the features I like best about an older car or truck. Years ago I had a 65 Ford with power steering and it had the stock several-turns-of-the-wheel to go from center to full turning of the vehicle. I loved it. I could turn the wheel effortlessly with my pinky if I wanted. I just like the feel. Newer cars I've had since then were luxurious and fun to drive with modern features such as quick steering ratio, but I miss that 65 Ford. Now that I have a 69 Chevy, I love that feel again. I would probably even go for a yet slower ratio than stock.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
franken

If I recall the variable rate means its more sensitive the more the wheel is turned. At the midpoint diving straight, steering is less sensitive and not twitchy. The variable bit reduces the lock to lock turns. Or, I could be wrong.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
davepl

I have two 1969 Pontiac full-size cars. One is a Laurentian with constant-ratio power steering, the other a Bonneville Brougham with the optional variable ratio.

The variable ratio only really "kicks in" once you're about a full half turn of the wheel in. So tight corners, parking lots, and some roundabouts. Otherwise for normal driving you operate in the slower ratio area.

When you have to turn the wheel "a lot", it helps you by having to turn it less. I could see how it could be disconcerting to some people, but I drive these cars back to back in the same location and while I did note the variable ratio the first time I went around the roundabout (it just needed less input), it doesn't bother or throw me or anything.

I'd get it just for parking lot maneuvering. But that's probably because I have the original box in mine and a 3-point turn is a LOT of wheel spinning.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
LongBox

I wonder if there's some confusion out there about this. There are constant ratio power steering boxes, variable ratio power steering boxes, and then there's variable-assist power steering, which my 98 Silverado has.

Variable ratio just means that the farther away you turn the wheel from the center position, the faster the steering angle at the knuckles changes. As others have pointed out, this makes for no difference when you are on or near center, such as when driving down the road, but helps when making tight maneuvers. Variable assist uses a computer to vary the output orifice on the steering pump to provide different levels of assist at different vehicle speeds and steering wheel angles. The GM units like the one in my 98 have issues that make it seem as though you've suddenly hit black ice, or that someone is tugging on the wheel. This has nothing to do with the ratio in the box. It is caused by a sensor in the steering column that goes bad. Freaky when it happens, but you get used to it.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #12
Aus69c20

Go with the quicker ratio box. I have no regrets in changing mine in my daily.
If there's a situation on the road I want quick steering inputs and I just didn't feel this was possible with the original ratio.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
davepl

My Corvette Z06 has both: variable ratio AND variable effort, adjustable with a dial on the console, no less. The ratio can apparently vary from 12.0 to 16.4 on the fly. That's independent of steering position too.

While coming out of the straightaway at Spring Mountain near Vegas, I was heading into a corner when messages came up on the dash:

POWER STEERING OVERHEATED
SERVICE POWER STEERING
(etc)

Lost all power steering at 130mph coming into a corner! That was a little spooky. But you could also lose a belt on the old hydraulic system, so nothing is perfect. It was also 112F and we were really working the cars hard... on the plus side as soon as it cooled down it came right back.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:02 AM   #14
Overdriven

My father has a 1968 Camaro and it's a cruiser not a hot rod or anything. He swapped from a stock power steering box to a quick ratio box and we both agree it's way better. The old box was in great condition with very little play so the main difference you notice is the weight and more modern feel of the quicker ratio. The steering is still light, just not single finger phone dial light.

Sorry I don't have a comparison in a c10 but I'll be putting a quick ratio power box in my truck eventually. Depends what you want though. To be honest I like the old timey feel of my manual box and cranking the wheel over a hundred times. Then I get off the backroads onto normal streets with more congestion and wish I had power disc brakes and quicker ratio power steering to help manuever more quickly.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #15
nevada

Lots of good feedback, Thanks. still unsure which way to go, my current old box manual steering is actually nice when running 60+ mph highway. good feel, minimal play, just not fun in parking lots.