The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
Smitty

Preserving the SPID

Restoring my truck and the edges are peeling. Was thinking of using a clear adhesive sheet. But the wife thinks that the adhesive would adversely affect the information on the SPID. Anyone with a successful method or material? Nothing but good advice ever comes m;y way from here.[B][B][B]
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Preserving the SPID

Would you be opposed to a reproduction? I know there are several board members who make excellent ones that I couldn't tell from the original.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Smitty

Thanks! I'd forgotten about that option. Sent an email to Jeff to see what I need to facilitate that. Much appreciated.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
jocko

72 was the first year for a clear cover from the factory I believe - am pretty sure LMC sells that sheet (or maybe just Jeff, not sure which or both), you could easily place it over your 71 and it would look right at home and it would look stock. Jeff's out in the shop repros are excellent also. EDIT: Ya know, now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure my 71 had the clear cover over it also (from the factory) - so if you don't have one at all, might be a truly stock look.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
jocko

ok, I couldn't find one on LMC.. Must be losing it.. I'd ask Jeff though. If yours is still readable, I'd keep it and cover it. If not, then time to replace. Also, if you DO go the replacement route, a good idea is to buy a whole new glovebox door, paint to match, and install the new SPID on the new door - that way you can always stick the original one back on if you sell or just to maintain it as original if you wanted to. Not a bad option just in case, some people are SPID freaks (ok, guilty...) Ha. Either way a good option. Pic of my 71's SPID with clear sticker below. Here is Jeff's website if you need it or want to research a little http://outintheshop.com/2.html Most SPIDs I've seen 68 and above are style "B".
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 05-08-2017 at 10:42 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 AM   #6
Chevyland

Good thread topic.
For the integrity of these trucks. I think an original spid is important.
But it is true. If they aren't covered with plastic, usually the font wears off.
I've often wondered if you could spray clear SEM clear coat over them but never tried
I personally like original trucks with original spids
And would pay more money for a truck that had a hard to read spid that looked mostly original to the build of the truck
Than I would for a truck that had a pristine spid that I thought was fake

Jocko. I have a 70 blazer cst with a plastic cover on spid
I thought it might be that cst's got the plastic?
I'm not sure I've ever seen a plastic covered one on a 69 or earlier??
Every 72 I've had was covered with plastic!
71's I've seen also seem to have plastic
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:20 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Do a search and you'll come across a guy who does amazing work. I believe his name is Jeff or John. By advice of one of our finer members, I had one made, & bought a different glove box door for the rebuild. Packed away the original SPID and door. Granted it's a $100 option, but what the heck, the SPID looks like new & I still have the original.

Whoops, I see Jocko beat me to it.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote