The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
slaterson

Brothers Trucks 9" Brake Booster??

I have a '68 SWB with all manual drums and converting to a front disk setup. I have sourced some parts from a '71 C10 but still need a booster/master cylinder and prop valve so am considering the 9" booster combo from Brothers for $299 since I am planning on eventually running a big block 454.

Does anyone have any experience with the Brothers boosters as far as quality and fitment? Will the smaller size perform adequately and will the mounting brackets fit? Thanks..
slaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Hidesertchevy

Re: Brothers Trucks 9" Brake Booster??

I have 69 c10 drum drum and went with the cpp kit was about 300 works great big improvement in stopping and bolted up with no mods needed very simple instll . With drum drum setup you will use a distribution block like stock setup not a porp valve
Hidesertchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
slaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidesertchevy View Post
I have 69 c10 drum drum and went with the cpp kit was about 300 works great big improvement in stopping and bolted up with no mods needed very simple instll . With drum drum setup you will use a distribution block like stock setup not a porp valve
Yes I currently have a drum drum setup but am doing the conversion to power front disk/rear drum. So the prop valve is part of the booster/master cylinder combo. I am about to pull the trigger on the 9" booster unit from Brothers (planning on a 454 down the road) but thought someone may have a review or advice on this or other 9" brake setups..
Old 05-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
mild68

I just received a 9" booster combo from Brothers about a week and a half ago. First of all I noticed after opening the package the master cyl cap wasn't completed with the cadium(?) finish. I called and reported it and asked for a new cap. I received and email stating a new cap had been processed for shipping. I called and told them I didn't want chrome. I finally got the correct cap today.
Another thing I didn't like was the master cylinder was cast with large POL letters in the side. They buy their parts from Performance Online. I bought from Brothers not POL. anyway I'm going to live with that. Actually grind it off.
Anyway here are pix.

Last edited by mild68; 05-20-2017 at 11:31 PM.
mild68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #5
slaterson

Hey thanks mild68, I am assuming it is performing as expected since you did not comment on that part. Looks like a nice setup. I actually ordered it a couple days ago so will report back to this thread once I get it installed...
Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
skytop

Used CPP once and Stainless Steel Brakes another time. Both works well.
However, a word of caution, each time I build a motor, the cams were somewhat high lift. There was also some overlap to give a macho lumpty lump idle. The down side to a very healthy engine is very low vacuum. Even with 8" power brake booster, I ran out of vacuum after applying the brakes once or twice.

My solution was to add an accumulator in one truck and I put an electric vacuum boost pump in the other. There in another solution (hydroboost) (which I never used) which takes hydraulic fluid pressure from the power steering pump for brake assist . Something to think about.

Last edited by skytop; 05-24-2017 at 05:05 PM.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
NaturalSnapple

Have you considered going with a hydroboost setup? If you're running a lumpy cam you may run into braking issues if you aren't producing enough vacuum. The hydroboost also takes up less room.
NaturalSnapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Mbeef61

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaterson View Post
Hey thanks mild68, I am assuming it is performing as expected since you did not comment on that part. Looks like a nice setup. I actually ordered it a couple days ago so will report back to this thread once I get it installed...
any updates?
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote