The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
painterljp

To DO or NOT TO DO??

We have a 1971 Chey Shortbed. It is all stock 307, 3 on tree. No power nothing brakes or steering. Runs fine. All original factory stuff. Looking for opinions, we may want to put a 327 already built with roller rockers tall valve covers, cam, etc. Lots of goodies. To put in truck. But that is going to destroy the all original stuff. But add power steering power brake upgrade. And an automatic. Take body from frame and just freshen it up with new paint and what ever bushings and such it needs. It is a New Mexico original truck so has no rust. PO was a school teacher and got the shop.class to paint it white and removed all trim, just lower. So we're putting all that back to stock. Need some opinions on whether to put 327 in it or leave 307 in it?? On tree or automatic. Just feels like no power and not such a joy to drive. What do you all think??
Attached Images

painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
bigdog55

Re: To DO or NOT TO DO??

I would upgrade it
Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
6768chevylover

Its a nice truck.. If your gonna go powerps & brakes, you might as well put the power in it with the 327 IMO.. Your truck was built with out the power accessories and now your changing the originality. Not many people would know what exact engine options came with these trucks.
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
kwmech

Personally I wouldn't go too crazy on it. Mildly built small block, large single exhaust with a turbo 350 and a shift kit. I would put power steering and power brakes on it. Nice paint job and interior. Call it done, drive and enjoy it
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
painterljp

The 327 is stock, we had to buy new pistons for it but went with stock. Has a mild cam in it. Just a little over rv cam so it idles smoothly. Bought an edelbrock intake for it but my son painted it orange. Edelbrock carb we think. Tall valve covers were needed to clear the roller rockers. The truck belongs to my son. The motor belonged to his Dad, who was in the process of building it when he passed from cancer almost two years ago. My son finished the motor as a tribute to his dad. I am his Mom and trying to help him with all these answers as he can't seem to decide which way he wants to go with it. He has a 1968 gmc he did back to stock already and this one is next. As well as a 1972 Sierra Grande 8 1/2ft. Bed which is a big block but the body on that is kinda rough. So he is just rebuilding the motor in that one as a driver for now. We have too many projects I guess. Thanks for all you guys input. And have bought some parts here as we can afford them. You guys are great!!! Thanks.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
hewittca

That looks like a good truck to start with. I am in a similar situation with a very clean and original truck that has the original 307 in it. I like the originality of it, but am always left wanting a bit more power. I am thinking of going with a mild 350 or 400, but making it look factory. There are even quite a few LS swaps that stick to factory styling and those look and perform excellently. In my opinion, maintaining all originality on a truck like this (or mine) where it needs some work anyway really isn't a deal maker or breaker. If it's your truck and you want more power, then throw in a different motor. With whatever motor you choose, you will enjoy it more and if you ever sell it, you're not going to kill the value of the truck.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
Warrens69GMC

Since this not an original Big block/ac/shortbed truck with all options, you can do what you want with it. Never have I heard some say" I'd like to find a 307/3 OTT/ non power steering/ non power brake, longbed truck".
IMO, adding PDB, PS, and using period correct bracket and parts makes worth more. adding a NEW 350 (over the 307) adds even more value.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
jocko

Happen to have a pic of the SPID?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
Maximus

If you LIKE The 3OTT then keep it, but if you WANT auto, go for it. If it was an original paint, original interior truck that was a total time capsule, I would say maybe find a different one to tear into, but at the end of the day its a chevy c10, "originality" that would be too precious to remove was gone before you got it. make it your own.

I still have a 3OTT on my 72' F100, its pretty fun to shift, and is a cool throw-back to a lost era (im in my 30's, 3OTT trucks were phased out when I was in diapers...) but I also dont drive that truck that often.

Dont worry about its past, set it up the way you want for your future.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
painterljp

Will get a pic of spider tonight.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
painterljp

Will get a picture of SPID.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
...Dont worry about its past, set it up the way you want for your future.
I agree with Maximus.

3OTT is fun with power, just sayin.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
painterljp

Also the guy we got it from, his Dad was the original owner and it was bought here in NM from Caldwell Motors in Belen, NM. About 35 miles south of Albuquerque. They are out of business now. But we have all documentation from truck. Build sheet. Warranty plate, No sticker price though.