The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2003, 01:45 AM   #1
68LSS1

Anybody using the Hydratech System?

It's similar to what some Ford and GM vehicles have had in the past. Not sure if any still do. It utilizes pressure from your power steering pump for your power brakes. It's bolt in. No vacuum problems with big cams. They recently added our trucks to the applications although I don't think they are on their website yet.
Hydratech
Old 10-22-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
BadAssChevy502
Yeh It's Fast

Yeh I wanna know to

i'm going to send them an e-mail

1972 C20 3/4 Pickup Fleetside 502ci Th400

Click here to view pictures of my truck

1971 C20 3/4 Pickup Fleetside 350ci 3speed manual gearbox

"IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T TRY TO FIX IT"

Zwijndrecht,
The Netherlands
Europe
BadAssChevy502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

They still come factory in most 1 ton and bigger trucks and busses. The only negative part is, if your engine ever shuts off you loose your power brakes instantly. With the vacuum assist it will give you a couple of pedal strokes before you loose it.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Also with that kind of setup, if you are low on power steering fluid and hit the brakes it will sometimes jerk the wheel out of your hands. My buddy has the hydro boost setup on his '69 and absolutely hates it!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

They were available from the factory in these trucks.

I haven't used one, but from what i understand, if your tranny is in gear, and you try to use the brakes and steering while idling, it has a hard time using both.

If you have problems running power brakes with a big cam, you can get a vaccum canister that will store engine vaccum so you can use it when you hit your brakes
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
68LSS1

I'm sure it has some disadvantages but IMO the advantages are greater. No vacuum worries, lot cleaner set up and uses less space. Decreases stopping distance. A lot of the pro-touring guys love the crap out of them and they're real picky about what they use (they aren't going to top of a $2500.00 Baer or Wilwood brake set up with something that is only marginally better than what they already have).

I'm sure the aftermarket are much improved upon the factory systems, also. I realize there was some issues with those.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #7
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

My girlfriends dad has the hyrdobost on his Chevy 6.2l Deisel & he thinks is ok BUT turning and braking at the same time are not fun - the steering gets stiff & the brakes get weak. His diesel is on its way to 10000lbs loaded with all his construction tools but I think that if you overboost the pump a bit its a good idea.

-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 PM   #8
68LSS1

Again, on most GM power steering pumps the amount of shims can be changed to in/decrease pressure if necessary. And again if these issues were true the pro-touring guys wouldn't be using them. I think the last thing they would want would be to worry about applying the brake at 170mph in a sweaping right hander.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:10 PM   #9
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

My dad's '01 Dodge Cummins has that kind of setup on it. I really like it. I barely notice a problem when turning and braking! I've been thinking really hard about buying a kit for my truck!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 10:22 PM   #10
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Just wait until a power steering hose blows while going down a really big hill pulling a big load with a sharp corner at the bottom!! Then we'll talk about how well you like that setup!! (If you are still alive!!!!) I'll take the good ole vacuum setup any day over the hydroboost!! Also 68LSS1 what do you mean CLEANER SETUP???? They have several lines under the hood, and just wait until they start leaking!! Then it's not so clean! But to each his own. I just know that I would not use one, no fluid to worry about other than brake fluid and only one hose going to the booster, how much simpler can you get for power brakes?
Yellville, Ar. USA

Last edited by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72; 10-22-2003 at 10:25 PM.
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:16 AM   #11
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Just wait until a power steering hose blows while going down a really big hill pulling a big load with a sharp corner at the bottom!! Then we'll talk about how well you like that setup!! (If you are still alive!!!!) I'll take the good ole vacuum setup any day over the hydroboost!! Also 68LSS1 what do you mean CLEANER SETUP???? They have several lines under the hood, and just wait until they start leaking!! Then it's not so clean! But to each his own. I just know that I would not use one, no fluid to worry about other than brake fluid and only one hose going to the booster, how much simpler can you get for power brakes?
1 Power steering hose blowing? Possible, but that's really stretching it. Kit comes with braided hose also. 2 Look at my sig--do you think there is ever going to be a trailer behind my truck? Scratch that---do you think there will ever be a hitch under the back? NO and NO. 3 There is only 2 lines, to and from pump (slight variation with rack and pinion and yes I have that too). No big, ugly booster in the way. 4 Simplicity? Again look at my sig. Do you think I'm worried about simplicity? Is there something about simplicity that makes it better? Let me guess, you're good buddies with CPNE . I'm not building no trailer queen here either. The truck is meant to be driven--hard. Even with disc brakes our trucks leave a lot to be desired. (And it's going back together with 4 wheel disc.) Your brakes are no good if you can't stop as quick or quicker than the guy in front. No offense meant and none taken and I appreciate you trying to talk me out of it but it would mean more if you had one. And you can't compare your friends stock unit to the aftermarket. That's like comparing a stock intake manifold to a Weiand. Yes they both work. I guess for simplicities sake we keep the stock one on?
Old 10-23-2003, 08:17 AM   #12
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

You can find good and bad things about both systems. For my vehicles I will stick with vacuum. We have both systems in our fleet of thousands of vehicles. I have 600 vehicles assigned to my shop and only about 5% are hydraulic boost. Never seen any real failures with either system.
On some of the heavier units they have an electric hyd pump back up systems. When the hyd pressure from the power steering pump drops the electric system kicks in and keeps the pressure up in the brake booster, even with the engine completely off.
But with a half ton truck and everyday driving the vacuum booster works fine.

@68LSS1
Did you finish installing your diff?
How about some pics.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote