The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
billybob750

1970 C10 SWB LSX Build

I first joined this forum back in 2005 during my senior year of high school. I had an 85 Chevrolet at the time, and used the forum for information and help with that truck. That truck is long gone, and there have been a few more since, but they have all been late models.

Fast forward.. I purchased my first home in early 2016. I had been wanting to pickup an older project truck for years, and now I finally had my own place and plenty of garage space to year into something. So, I started hunting for a project truck. I started originally looking for a 67-72 swb truck, and quickly found that affordable trucks in my area were rusted to pieces, and any truck that wasn't rusted to pieces was out of my price range. I eventually lowered my expectations, raised my budget, and was still unable to find anything.

Then, I came across the one. I found a truck for sale on Facebook, and it looked too good to be true. It was listed for $7500 which was more than I was looking to initially spend, but the truck was finished and looked great in pictures. The owner was claiming the truck was rust free, and had been restored a few years prior. I hitched up my trailer, picked up my old man, and went to see the truck with cash in hand. The truck ended up being full of bondo, and a complete bucket. It looked great from 30 feet, but was a disaster up close. Headed home with an empty trailer yet again.

My uncle David from Texas calls my dad as we're driving home. They're BSing on the phone, and dad says that we're on the way home from looking at a truck, and proceeds to tell David about how Ive been looking for an old C10. David says "well hell, you know I still have my old 70' Chevy!" Uncle David eventually makes a proposition.. He says that if Dad and I will make the trip down to Texas to visit the family, then he would love to send me home with the truck, because he knows Ill do great things with it.

So now we're loaded up and making the 1100 mile trip to Austin. We had only seen a couple of older pictures of the truck, so we weren't sure what to expect. But, we hadn't seen my dad's side of the family in a few years so it was going to be a worthwhile trip regardless.

Here's how we found her.. Sitting in the middle of a field outside Cedar Park, Texas. The truck was parked in 2008 after the original six cylinder engine bit the dust. The rockers and cab corners have typical rust and will need replaced, but to my surprise, the rest of the truck looks great! Its an ugly duckling for sure, but its solid!

I am in no rush to get this thing on the road, so my plan is to start with the chassis first and work my way up. Overall plan for the truck is to shorten the long wheel base frame to short wheel base specs, convert from six lug drum brakes to five lug disc brakes, and swap to LS power. I have a good aluminum 5.3L with 243's and 4l80 transmission already, so those will very likely make their way into the truck. I am really into the pro-touring type stance, so that is my direction at this point.

Dad drinking a Lone Star and trying the driver seat out.

Out of the field for the first time in nearly a decade.

Stopped by Gas Monkey Bar and Grill in Dallas, TX for lunch on the ride home.

Back in Kentucky, off the trailer and awaiting teardown!

billybob750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
billybob750

Re: 1970 C10 SWB LSX Build

First Update. I have a few other projects that I am finishing up, so I haven't done much with the truck yet. However, I did pickup a huge piece of the puzzle last week! I was cruising Craiglist, and came across a short wheel base, 5 lug, disc brake chassis for sale. The price was right, so I went ahead and scooped it up. This should make a good starting point after I get it torn down, blasted and painted.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
billybob750

Just a little background.. Here is my 2005 GTO. It has an ERL Performance built 366" LS2 with Trick Flow 235's and an F1A Procharger. Makes around 900 to the tires on 15lbs and E85. Best ET to date has been 10.23 @ 148 with the stick shift. Shooting to get it into the nines this year.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
billybob750

Ill probably find a new home for this one to help fund the C10 build, but I love knocking around in this thing. Its a 2000 Silverado, factory 4.3 5 speed work truck. Its 5.3 swapped, with a BTR cam and boltons. Reused the factory 5 speed. 5/7 Belltech drop, with 24x10 Sierra replica wheels.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Nice rides you got there...the c10 should be a fun project for ya
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote