The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
hotdog hound

Question No back up lights

Hi need some help I have no back up lights on my 70 fleetside all the other lights work I have tail lights,brake lights and turn signals. I replaced the bulbs and believe them to be good. Where would I troubleshoot next and what brings on the back up lights is it in the shifter lever (TH350) or is it something on or in the transmission? Thanks in advance for help!!
hotdog hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: No back up lights

The backup light switch in on the steering column up under the dash. It has two small set screws and will move side to side. Block your tire, Turn your key on, put the trans in reverse, loosen the switch, have so one watch for the lights to come on. And the tighten the switch. You can also set up a mirror so can see, if you don't have any help.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

The switch for them is on the steering column near the firewall (see photo). I would first look at the grounding of the bulbs. Hook a test light to a good ground and with the bulb installed (known good bulb) touch the probe to the bulb socket and see if the bulb glows. If so you have a bad ground. If that doesn't work then test the switch for 12vdc on one side in park with the key on. If no power then it is a fuse or fuse block issue.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog hound View Post
Hi need some help I have no back up lights on my 70 fleetside all the other lights work I have tail lights,brake lights and turn signals. I replaced the bulbs and believe them to be good. Where would I troubleshoot next and what brings on the back up lights is it in the shifter lever (TH350) or is it something on or in the transmission? Thanks in advance for help!!
The back up light switch is part of the NSS, which is on top of the steering column tube near the firewall (inside). It will have a Light Green and Dark Green wire going to it. Check the fuse and fuse holder clip in the fuse box first. Remove the fuse and clean the ends of it and clean the metal clips on the fuse holder. Using a test light, with the key on, test the fuse holder clips and see if one of them is hot. (I think the left one is hot) Install the fuse, then check and see if the other clip is hot. Put the test light on the clips, not the fuse. If that is hot put the shifter in reverse and see if you have reverse lights. If still no lights have another person watch the lights while you move the shift lever up and down slightly. The NSS may be out of adjustment.

Edit: I see I type way to slow...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote