The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
ga-stepside

Rear coil removal

I read the proper procedure here to accomplish this and it would have worked great if it weren’t for rusted bolts. I did get the bottom nut and bolt on the driver side off, but the bottom passenger side ended up getting a date with my grinder. Now my question. Is the a trick to getting the top nut and bolts off? I am assuming there is a nut inside the frame but I can't see in there and can barely get my hand in there to feel the nut much less get a wrench on the nuts.
ga-stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Custom/20

Re: Rear coil removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-stepside View Post
I read the proper procedure here to accomplish this and it would have worked great if it weren’t for rusted bolts. I did get the bottom nut and bolt on the driver side off, but the bottom passenger side ended up getting a date with my grinder. Now my question. Is the a trick to getting the top nut and bolts off? I am assuming there is a nut inside the frame but I can't see in there and can barely get my hand in there to feel the nut much less get a wrench on the nuts.
What I did on my c20 was jack up the rear end and then put the frame on Jack stands. Remove the botom bolts and retainers then let the rear down. For the top bolts and nuts I put a long 3/4 inch wrench on the nut inside the frame rail by feeling and then broke it loose with a breaker bar and a mix of extensions so I can get the bar in between the coil. I ended up snapping one of the bolts on the top. After that it's pretty much reverse. Just be sure to get a new rear coil spring retainer kit and don't forget to put anti seize on the new bolts.

http://www.classicparts.com/mobile/1.../#.WSzIFHplDqA

Thankfully my bottom bolts didn't snap cause I endid up having to reuse my original ones cause the 3/4 ton bolts on the bottom are longer than the ones on a 1/2 ton.
Custom/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
ga-stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom/20 View Post
What I did on my c20 was jack up the rear end and then put the frame on Jack stands. Remove the botom bolts and retainers then let the rear down. For the top bolts and nuts I put a long 3/4 inch wrench on the nut inside the frame rail by feeling and then broke it loose with a breaker bar and a mix of extensions so I can get the bar in between the coil. I ended up snapping one of the bolts on the top. After that it's pretty much reverse. Just be sure to get a new rear coil spring retainer kit and don't forget to put anti seize on the new bolts.

Thankfully my bottom bolts didn't snap cause I endid up having to reuse my original ones cause the 3/4 ton bolts on the bottom are longer than the ones on a 1/2 ton.
Thanks. I that is sort of what I thought. I will get that kit. I have a feeling the top bolts are going to break. Sometimes that is easier!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
ga-stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom/20 View Post

Got them out. Not the easiest thing I have ever done. Rusty threads all the way, even with penetrating oil.