The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
joecaruso

Heavy Duty Drum Brakes 1970 C10

Hello all, I recently ordered a disk brake conversion kit for my 70 C10 which uses the stock spindles and drum brake hubs. Upon breaking things down I found that the stock hubs were too large for the rotors in the kit. Thats when I remembered the spid on my truck lists HD brake equipped. Needless to say I sent the kit back and I am going to have to go with one that includes new spindles and hubs, but I was curious if anyone had more info on the HD drum drake option for half ton trucks. I have tried searching but have not found much info. I bought my truck from the original owner who bought it as a boat hauler so the added braking power makes sense. I appreciate any info. Thanks
joecaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
weim55

Re: Heavy Duty Drum Brakes 1970 C10

I don't have the info you seek but I too am curious about the HD Brake option. Did you measure the drum diameter and shoe width while you had it apart?

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
68Gold/white

Here's what I know...
I worked in an independent auto parts store (not a chain store...1985-1998) for 13 years.
There's a listing for the standard 1/2 ton drum brakes. 11 inch drums, 2 inch wide shoes.
I wondered for a long time why I had never run into a customer with the heavy duty option...
Finally towards the end of my 13 years working there I did!!!
The heavy duty brakes are used on Suburbans!!!
The suburbans used bigger shoes and drums, I don't remember what size. From my point of view, apparently only suburbans got the heavy duty front brakes. Of course I have not seen them all...anyone?

Another "brake" experience. A customer walks in the door where I worked. He wanted front brakes for his 1970 C-10. I'd never seen him before. After he told what his vehicle was, he said I had not bring out a set of brake shoes, or he would not be doing any more business with us, period! He' been to several parts stores, all told him his '70 came with front drum brakes, some argued the point...My book had listed disc brakes as an option in 1970, I told him this, he was impressed, became a regualr customer, even though he lived in another town...

Those disc brake conversions that use the stock spindles are NOT the way to go!!! I'm pretty sure that the heavy duty drum versions likely used the same spindle.
The disc brake spindles use bigger bearings and are better made for better stopping. No telling why the stuff you got did not fit, be thankful it did not...

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 06-02-2017 at 07:31 PM.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaruso View Post
...Upon breaking things down I found that the stock hubs were too large for the rotors in the kit. Thats when I remembered the spid on my truck lists HD brake equipped...
My truck also has the HD drum brake option, but I don't see it listed on my SPID...if that is what this here thingy is.

I was told by the previous owner that this was originally an O.D. green Bell Telephone work truck, and that would explain the heavy duty drum brake option.

I also remember from purchasing replacement brake shoes from the auto parts store that it does in fact take the HD shoes.

Sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing, and that I can't offer any help, but I would be interested in knowing what solution exists, in case I decide to go with front disks in the future.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
chewychevy67

Those disc brake conversions that use the stock spindles are NOT the way to go!!! I'm pretty sure that the heavy duty drum versions likely used the same spindle.
The disc brake spindles use bigger bearings and are better made for better stopping. No telling why the stuff you got did not fit, be thankful it did not...[/QUOTE]

Is this because the disc is heavier than the drum? I'm not sure why if the bearings weren't looked after that this would be such a big problem. I bought this kit as well as mcgaughys 6 lug kit. Waiting for them to arrive before I decide which kit to use.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote