The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
Noah96

Title Question

Ok found a truck I like but the guy doesn't have the title in his name its still in the PO name I don't like the idea of buying a truck without the owner having the title in his name. Just would like everyones thought on this might be. Thanks
Noah96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Ctimrun

Re: Title Question

Does he have the actual paper title with the previous owners name on it? If he does then I would go for it, I have done this several times. If he doesn't have the actual title I would not pursue it unless you could somehow get a hold of the previous owner and find the title or get a duplicate signed over to you.
Ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Is the title signed over to the person who has it, and, if so, is it the signature of the person named on the title?
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
Noah96

Yes the truck Owner has the title that he got from the PO he just hasn't signed it over in his name. I guess to avoid paying the fees.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
WastedTime

As others have stated if the title is clear and in the PO's name with their signature, you should be good. It's basically as if the guy you'd be buying the truck from never owned it.
WastedTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Chevyland

Buy it before someone else does.
It's done all the time
If the truck is desireable, you better hurry before you loose the deal
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #7
1968aj

I have done this several times. make sure all signatures are good. I bought one that was in a husband and wifes name. one of them was deceased.things like this can cause problems but still can be done.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #8
jocko

Maryland (a place I lived once) would not accept a title with a previous owner's name still on it - turned out the guy was dead for years and the guy I was buying it from had bought it before he died and never bothered to transfer it because he just stuck it in a barn. So it wasn't signed over to a buyer (that is the key - not "released"). If SOMEONE has signed it over, you're probably ok, but call the DMV before you buy. I didn't and they treated it as a skipped title and it was a nightmare - I ended up returning the truck to the dealer middleman (and I'm glad he was a dealer, the actual seller was a douche and just never answered the phone after this all went down), with a few uncomfortable exchanges in the process. There's more to this story - somehow the Mr. Dead DID happen to come to life long enough to sign a current bill of sale... Ha. Was forged of course - thank goodness the office manager was clueless enough to tell me on the phone that she signed it when her boss told her to. Glad at least she was honest. I still got hosed for shipping. Anyway - call DMV first and describe what you have so you won't be sweatin it when you get the truck.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Noah96

Ok thanks everyone, seems to be that's how all the trucks are I've found. I'll call my local DMV and see what I can find out.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Lots of flippers don't ever do the proper paperwork as they don't want to pay the $40 or so it costs lol Personally I never buy a vehicle unless there's a legit Title in the sellers name along with a Bill of Sale. Too many flippers & scammers out there these days and issues can always arise and then you're stuck with a dead weight and out $ until it's sorted out.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
Noah96

Well the guy said in NC the DMV has to come to check out the vehicle to get the Title in his name. He said he was willing to write a bill of sale to go along with, but WV DMV said that this is illegal although I know people do this all the time. I would prefer to get the truck with the owner having title in his name but seems like 8/10 trucks owners don't have title in their name just PO name. Just not sure how to go about
Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

If all the paperwork is signed I wouldn't see a problem. The DMV doesn't know or care who you paid for it. You have a title that's signed off.

When I got my truck, it had no title, and I wasn't buying it from the registered owner, the guy flipped trucks. BUT it did have signed off paperwork (Certificate of lost title) by the registered owner.

I took it to AAA. No problems. I avoid the DMV whenever possible.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
leddzepp

No title = parts truck

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #14
franken

Go to your states DMV website and research what papers you need to transfer a title to your name. Then start collecting the papers. There are 50 states and while many are similar, none are the same.

Don't tell the DMV what you're trying to do since they'll tell you the person selling doesn't own the vehicle and therefore can't sell it.

Armed with info, you can look at the title to see if its signed, notarized (if needed), dated (probably not, you'll need a correct color pen), forms, etc.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #15
garyd1961

Call the previous owner to see if he will go with you to the DMV. In NC the title needs to be signed in front of a notary but as long as it has a notary stamp on it it's good at the DMV.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #16
davischevy

One thing is for sure. If you ask the DMV it will get screwed up.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

In NC, the DMV does require check through the license and theft bureau on any vehicle that is brought into the state from surrounding states. I had to do that with my 72 from TN...its free so that shouldn't be a drawback if everything is legit? The current owner just doesn't want to pay the highway usage tax and title fee, but if there is a title available, just call the DMV and ask if there are any issues, leins etc.

I have bought and sold a bunch like this, however recently people have understandably been reluctant to buy with titles like this therefore I now switch them into my name, just have to get another $100 to cover my costs.

I bought a mustang once where the seller had a title that had been signed by the previous owner, when I took it to the DMV, the title had been cancelled because the PO signed an affidavit with the DMV which stated that the car went to the crusher in order for the PO to receive welfare. I was stuck with it since I had already bought it, the PO would not sign another affidavit saying he lied.....so the car was parted out.
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #18
TxGoats

I'm dealer in Texas. This happens all the time. As long as the PO signed off on it correctly, as in signed just like the title is assigned and the purchaser
Ine is still blank, you won't have any issues.
TxGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #19
bhayes1

This is commonly referred to as "floating a pink slip" Not a big deal on your part however, it is illegal for the seller to do so. I wouldn't be concerned at all about getting the title straightened out if you like the truck.

The thing I would be most concerned about with this transaction is that you are purchasing a truck from a seller who has a lack of integrity. I would check the vehicle out head to toe because I would bet the farm that there are some hidden issues that the seller is hoping that you don't notice.

Believe me, I couldn't disagree more with paying use tax on something that has already been taxed at full value when it left the dealership 50 years ago. But......rules is rules.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
Noah96

Well the owner keeps referring to it as a open title which if I understand correctly I just fill out where he has left blank on the title
Old 06-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #21
bhayes1

If open title translates to tax evasion in his native language then....uuuu huh
Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #22
jocko

No such thing as open. DMV calls it a skipped title - and, as mentioned above, if they figure it out (perhaps because you have a bill of sale and signed title with two different names, as would be the case) you may run into problems registering/titling. I did. MD would NOT title a skipped title car. Anyway, concur with above - seller should handle all of this legwork if he wants to sell a truck in a titling state. My 2c only. I just don't buy trucks without a clearly and properly documented title. Too much potential headache.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #23
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

If the seller information on the back of the title matches the front, AND the buyer section is left blank, you are fine. Just make up your own selling price, add your name and address and go get your plates.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #24
Grumpy old man

Well ... If you can't figuire out how to just sign your name and register the truck you may as well forget about trying to rebuild one ! it's an open title just roll with it .Sign your name in the correct spot and walk in to dmv and register the dang thing , pay the taxes on what you paid for it and quit trying to involve higher powers to get it done ! Don't ask questions ,this is one time where just shutting your mouth will be to to your benefit They will run theft and any other DMV checks on it at that time , your digging your own grave ....how deep do you want it ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #25
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

We call it "title jumping" and it is technically illegal in most, if not all states (without having a dealer's license). One of the reasons flippers do it is if you sell more than X number of cars per year you have to have a dealer's license.

As stated above, if everything was left blank but the sellers signature, YOU should be fine. The only issue might be if the title was dated a year or two ago it could raise questions.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote