The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
DesignMine

Dye questions

I have been reading for days and have seen many posts on vinyl dyes and it seems most people suggest SEM dye but it looks like they don't have a good match for a 1969 Saddle, they have it but its much lighter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality dye in the correct (or close to correct) color?
DesignMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Bhelton

Re: Dye questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignMine View Post
I have been reading for days and have seen many posts on vinyl dyes and it seems most people suggest SEM dye but it looks like they don't have a good match for a 1969 Saddle, they have it but its much lighter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality dye in the correct (or close to correct) color?
Sometimes the lids look lighter then actual color and vise versa. Best thing to do is go to local supplier and get a actual color chart or you can have it mixed to your specs
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
DesignMine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Sometimes the lids look lighter then actual color and vise versa. Best thing to do is go to local supplier and get a actual color chart or you can have it mixed to your specs
Thanks, I will do that but I have read mixed reviews on dyes so I was hoping for some recommendations on a qood quality vs just hoping for something good.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Bhelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignMine View Post
Thanks, I will do that but I have read mixed reviews on dyes so I was hoping for some recommendations on a qood quality vs just hoping for something good.
Sems by far is one of the best products on the market. Key to quality is prep and application. I've used it for years and never let me down. Just did my crew cab doors and very happy
Attached Images

Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
El Dorado Jim

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=739085 here is a thread that answers your question sort of...Special K ordered some saddle paint or dye off ebay and is going to let us know how it looks..he posted only about a week ago..I am very interested in finding out also....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
DesignMine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=739085 here is a thread that answers your question sort of...Special K ordered some saddle paint or dye off ebay and is going to let us know how it looks..he posted only about a week ago..I am very interested in finding out also....
Thanks I appreciate the link. I actually kind of like that Camel from SEM. I may go with that. My 69 paint is Saddle and interior is Saddle I need some contrast Maybe I should go with the darker one.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Dye work can be just as complicated as paint work and your not going too get superior results from a rattle can . Prep is the most import part of the process considering all the years some of these parts were slathered with armour all ,clear majic , vinyl treatment etc,etc

if it's just a driver and no real big deal use the rattle cans and be happy . if your looking for an exact professional match hit up any new car dealer detail shop ,everyone of them use "reconditioning vendors" to fix the dye problems and vinyl repair on all the used trade in cars before they throw them back up for sale , they can repair your damaged leather seats /door panels /dash /or the worn leather on your steering wheel . These guys are pro's and can color match anything and will actually come right to your driveway to fix whatever for a little extra cash in their pockets . So save yourself some headaches and stop in to your local car dealership and ask the employees who does their dye work and get it done right by the guys who do it for a living , Look up vinyl repair in your town and you'll probably have a few choices
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
DesignMine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Dye work can be just as complicated as paint work and your not going too get superior results from a rattle can . Prep is the most import part of the process considering all the years some of these parts were slathered with armour all ,clear majic , vinyl treatment etc,etc

if it's just a driver and no real big deal use the rattle cans and be happy . if your looking for an exact professional match hit up any new car dealer detail shop ,everyone of them use "reconditioning vendors" to fix the dye problems and vinyl repair on all the used trade in cars before they throw them back up for sale , they can repair your damaged leather seats /door panels /dash /or the worn leather on your steering wheel . These guys are pro's and can color match anything and will actually come right to your driveway to fix whatever for a little extra cash in their pockets . So save yourself some headaches and stop in to your local car dealership and ask the employees who does their dye work and get it done right by the guys who do it for a living , Look up vinyl repair in your town and you'll probably have a few choices
That makes perfect sense and I may look into that. Its a driver so it doesn't have to be perfect but that might very well be a good option!