The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Disnitch

6 lug rear disc conversion question

Good day everyone. I recently picked up my first classic in a 68 C10 and I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I start ordering parts. After doing a lot of searching on here and looking through several websites that sell kits I've decided I'm going to likely go with a CPP Grand Slam kit which has all the parts to lower the front and rear and convert the front to disc brakes. I plan to keep the 6 lug bolt pattern.

My question comes with the rear and trying to convert that to disc brakes as well. It seems that the Camaro/Firebird rear brakes are popular and cheap but they are all 5 lug. In the FAQ for the disc brakes on this site it said something about getting aftermarket rotors drilled out for 6 lug. Can I simply pickup the bracket and calipers from the Camaro/Firebird and find a 6 lug rotor to fit my current 6 lug axles? That sounds too easy too me.

I don't want to buy the CPP rear disc conversion kit if I don't have to, I'd like to save some money and pull some parts from an existing vehicle and I don't want to have to buy custom 5 lug axles to fit in my 68 rear in order to run the camaro/firebird brakes. If I have to go that route the cpp kit for the 6 lug is the same price. Any help is appreciated.
Disnitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
gator2511

Re: 6 lug rear disc conversion question

On my 72 rear brake conversion I'm using a 92 Chevy 4x4 front rotor. You have to measure your rear hub diameter and have the rotor center hole machined to fit. Of course You will have to check the fit of the calipers and brackets but at least You will have the rotors as a baseline.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote