The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
Bobby Pootz

De-Smog of a CA 305 - 1984 C10

So I burnt through a spark plug wire this past weekend and during replacement when I pulled off the air cleaner the vent on the passenger side valve cover that goes to the air cleaner broke off (hard rubber).

I also found the exhaust vent that feeds the air cleaner under the intake to the core support (the slinky looking silver hose) had burnt through the wire harness riding along the alternator wiring.

So instead of getting replacement parts and wiring, how do I delete these items. Don't need any smog in Washington.

My searches found that I will need to make a block off plate for the EGR and everything else should easily unbolt.

What have people done for the valve cover vent? It's the hard aluminum bent pipe.

Anything else I need to be aware of before I start taking parts off?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Bobby Pootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Alex V.

Re: De-Smog of a CA 305 - 1984 C10

"Valve cover vent" sounds like you're describing parts of the PCV system, which doesn't hurt performance when set up properly and is beneficial. The larger silver flex hose is for pulling warm air off the exhaust manifold to warm the engine more quickly - that can just be taken off and the vacuum hose to the little canister on top of the snorkel disconnected and plugged.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Bobby Pootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
"Valve cover vent" sounds like you're describing parts of the PCV system, which doesn't hurt performance when set up properly and is beneficial. The larger silver flex hose is for pulling warm air off the exhaust manifold to warm the engine more quickly - that can just be taken off and the vacuum hose to the little canister on top of the snorkel disconnected and plugged.
Thanks a lot Alex. I don't mind keeping but I'd have to get the rubber grommet that connects it to the exhaust manifold. I also plan to install headers at some point so I'm thinking/planning ahead.

And that's exactly the parts I described, thank you again for your help!

Rob
Old 06-13-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
Dead Parrot

The system that pulls hot air off the exhaust manifold into the air cleaner is called THERMAC. It both helps warming a cold engine and helps eliminate carb icing. Carb icing is most like to happen when the engine is cool, the air temps are between 30~70 and you have high humidity or rain. If you delete your THERMAC, be prepared for a rough running motor when it is cool and wet until everything gets fully hot, especially if you do a lot of stop and go driving.

Your PVC system helps pull blow by nasties out of the crankcase and keeps your oil cleaner and more water free. As Alex V said, it doesn't hurt performance and in fact, if you remove it, you could hurt performance since the carb is setup assuming the PVC system is present.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
DieselSJ

Regardless of whether or not you have a smog check in WA state, just remember that it is a federal offense to remove or modify any emissions related equipment. Removing EGR might cause a lean condition and detonation. Be careful.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Are you running the E4ME Qjet and Computer?
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
Bobby Pootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
Regardless of whether or not you have a smog check in WA state, just remember that it is a federal offense to remove or modify any emissions related equipment. Removing EGR might cause a lean condition and detonation. Be careful.
Very well aware of this. However I will be doing an engine swap at some point and would rather not spend money to get the system working if I don't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
Are you running the E4ME Qjet and Computer?
I have no idea, I'd have to see. I am concerned that there is a wiring harness that is riding above the alternator harness that has been burned through and thus no longer functioning. I'm not entirely sure what this leads to.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Bobby Pootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
The system that pulls hot air off the exhaust manifold into the air cleaner is called THERMAC. It both helps warming a cold engine and helps eliminate carb icing. Carb icing is most like to happen when the engine is cool, the air temps are between 30~70 and you have high humidity or rain. If you delete your THERMAC, be prepared for a rough running motor when it is cool and wet until everything gets fully hot, especially if you do a lot of stop and go driving.

Your PVC system helps pull blow by nasties out of the crankcase and keeps your oil cleaner and more water free. As Alex V said, it doesn't hurt performance and in fact, if you remove it, you could hurt performance since the carb is setup assuming the PVC system is present.
Sounds like I need to do more research on what these exact systems are and do. I'm not wanting to necessarily remove it, but certainly don't want to spend money to replace/fix things not really needed.

What have been the work around for people who have installed headers?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Pootz View Post
Very well aware of this. However I will be doing an engine swap at some point and would rather not spend money to get the system working if I don't need to.

I have no idea, I'd have to see. I am concerned that there is a wiring harness that is riding above the alternator harness that has been burned through and thus no longer functioning. I'm not entirely sure what this leads to.

Thanks for your help!
If the Qjet has 2 electrical inputs and your Distributor has a 4 pin plug then you are running a computer.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

If you live in a None smog state and not planing on leaving i set the 350 up 2 ways Holley or Edalbrock.I like the 1967--72 way how chevy put there exhaust alt brackets and power steering brackets.Not sure on your year which side the AC was on if it was on the Passenger side then do it like they did back in 1968--72.Here are a few pic's.One other thing this is if your not using headers if your using header don't use this Plug Idea 1973-74 still used the Ram horn design on the Corvette and using HEI
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Holley carb
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #12
Bobby Pootz

Thanks folks!

Looks like I'll be replacing the Crankcase grommet for the PCV system (the aluminum tube to air cleaner), I've tried to find this part number, does anyone know where I can source this? I guess I'll try the local parts store too, it should be a fairly common part I assume.

Thanks again for all the help!