The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
sactoC10
71 DELUX

disconnecting A/C parts (how-to) ?

Maybe I am imagining things, but isn't the freon supposed to be dangerous in A/C systems? This weekend I'd like to remove some of my A/C parts (pump, brackets) along with my alternator as I continue into deeper cleaning and painting of misc pieces. I have some concerns though about the A/C lines.

What do I need to know about this? The A/C according to the PO has not worked for some time.

Please advise!
Thanks-
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
BadAssChevy502
Yeh It's Fast

Thumbs up A/C

Are you gonna re use the a/c system ,if so you should let the pressure be in it otherwise i guess your pump will get stuck after a while.
and if you are not gonne use the a/c anymore,freon is not dangerous to your health or any as long as you remove it in a well ventilated area

I hope this is correct otherwise the I will be corrected by the other board members

Hope I was of any help to you,and good luck on the A/C and the Truck

1972 C20 3/4 Pickup Fleetside 502ci Th400

Click here to view pictures of my truck

1971 C20 3/4 Pickup Fleetside 350ci 3speed manual gearbox

"IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T TRY TO FIX IT"

Zwijndrecht,
The Netherlands
Europe
BadAssChevy502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
sactoC10
71 DELUX

interesting

Well the PO removed the belt, but the pump still moves freely by hand. I do intend to fix it next year and use it eventually.

So as long as I am outside I can disconnect the necessary hoses (and what not) in order to get beneath them and remove the pump.

Great, thanks!
Old 10-23-2003, 01:45 PM   #4
fatfords

More than likely if the AC hasn't worked for awhile, most of the freon has leaked out already. The freon contains CFC's which are supposedly linked to the hole in the ozone. In some places (CA is probably one) it is illegal to vent R-12 into the atmosphere. It is supposed to be recovered. Like BAC502 said, I don't think it is harmful if you breath it, but if you happen to crack a line open on accident, I would make sure it is in a well ventilated area and you just happen to have on eye protection.

If you intend to re-use the components, I would plug the hoses/fittings with caps. Especially the POA valve as those things are expensive. You don't want to get any moisture in the system to cause corrosion/rust.

Good Luck!
fatfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
Luv68's

Be very careful , if your not sure liquid refrigerant is nothing to play with. Refrigerant can be removed by a recovery machine. If you open the liquid line by mistake and get liquid refigerant on your skin it will burn you ( freezes the skin on contact ). Take it to a pro if you are not sure.
Luv68's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
valley 67

R12

REMOVING REFRIGERANT OR VENTING IS ONLY ILLEGAL IF YOUR CERTIFED OTHERWISE YOU WOULDNT KNOW IF YOU WERE CERTIFIED YOU COULD GET FINED BY EPA. JUST REMEMBER THAT LIQUID REFRIGERANT DOES GET COLD QUICKLY WHEN IT STARTS TO VAPORIZE IT GETS REALLY COLD ALSO PRESSURE FOR R12 IS PRETTY MUCH POUND OF PRESSURE TO AMBIENT DEGREES OUT SIDE EX. IF 80 OUTSIDE PRESSURE IN LINES AROUND 80 OR BASICALLY WHAT EVER TEMP AROUND A/C COMPONENTS. AS FAR AS MOISTURE CONCERNS WELL YOU SHOULD TRY AND CAP OFF EVERYTHING TO PREVENT RUST CONTAMINATION AND WHEN GOING BACK TOGETHER ESSENTIAL TO EVACUATE SYSTEM TO GET OUT AIR. BY THE WAY R12 IS ABOUT 30-40$ A LB AND YOUR TRUCK TAKES CLOSE TO 2 LBS NOW THATS COST RETAIL TO JOE SOMEBODY AROUND 70$ A LB JUST KEEP IN MIND.

Last edited by valley 67; 10-24-2003 at 10:22 AM.
valley 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You can't get liquid refrigerant on you. At atmospheric pressure, freon is a gas. So, as soon as the freon escapes the system, it instantly turns to vapor.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:29 AM   #8
valley 67

LIQUID REFRIGERANT

IN A WAY YOUR RIGHT YES REFRIGERANT DOES START TO VAPORIZE AT ATMOPHERIC PRESSURE BUT YOU STILL CAN GET LIQUID WOULDNT BE VERY MUCH BUT YOU COULD SEE DRIPPING TRUST ME. ALSO DONT TRY HEATING UP WITH FLAME TURNS TO PHOSGENE GAS RELLY BAD STUFF IT IS A POISONIOUS GAS OUTSIDE IN VENTELATED AREA YOU PROBABLLY WOULDNT EVEN KNOW UNLESS YOU GOT A WIFF OF IT AND YOU WOULDNT LIKE IT IT MORE OF A HAZARD IN ENCLOSED SPACES OR LARGE AMOUNTS OF REFRIGERANT IN NON VENTELATED SPACES.
valley 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
Locutus

Breathing R-12 gas in small amounts is not harmful to your health. The propellant on most abuteral inhalors (asthma meds) is R-12. I was shocked to see that.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:46 PM   #10
Eddie H.

To be safe and legal, I'd recommend taking it to a shop with proper refrigerant recovery equipment and having them drain it for you.
It shouldn't cost much for this service.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:29 PM   #11
truckster

You have two schrader valves on your system. They look like tire valves. Take a small screwdriver and push one in. You'll know if the system is pressurized or not. If there's a lot of pressure, you should probably take it to an A/C shop to have them remove the R12. If there's not much, just open the valve and let the pressure out.

Safety note:
When the system is running, make sure you don't mess with the high-side valve. Since your belt isn't even connected, you don't need to worry about high side/low side.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #12
sactoC10
71 DELUX

OK

Whoa, lots of good info. My intention is to remove the lines for only a day (or the weekend) and re-attach everything. I will plug them for that time, but I will not leave anything open for any extended amount of time.

Thanks.