The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
aggiegrad

another brake question

Sorry but the searches did not help me. I have added new power brakes to a 68 gmc truck. Everything was going good until I try to bleed the last wheel at the front drivers side. There is no fluid coming out while my son is holding the pedal down even with the bleeder completely removed. I have all drum so no proportioning valve. I have fluid to the passenger side. There is only a 1 foot line and the rubber hose. Can something block the fluid at the wheel? this just seems so strange. I just bought this truck and PO just had all brakes redone. I notice most of the hard lines appear to be new. I will take the wheel off and look but I want to know things to look for.

Thanks for any feedback.
aggiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
truckster

Re: another brake question

Did you replace the brake hose? That's a 50 year old hose, and it wouldn't be surprising if it had collapsed.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
B. W.

You have a clogged line / hose or, it's possible that the rubber cups in the wheel cylinder are completely compressed blocking the hole the brake fluid comes in through.
Disconnect the line/hose & spray brake clean through it, you should be able to spray brake cleaner through the wheel cylinder also. (with the bleeder loosened or removed)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
kwmech

Does it still bleed on the pass side?, if not, you've lost the centering on the distribution block
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Does it still bleed on the pass side?, if not, you've lost the centering on the distribution block
Distribution block splits front-rear, not side-side, does it not?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
mike16

it splits the front from the rear but if it got stuck in the center position from rust or sediment it could easily have stuck in that position while bleading one front wheel and then maybe finally loosened up enough to work when bleading the other front wheel.

check the distribution block to see if the pistone has moved off center. bleading the brakes and flushing the system are two different things. maybe flush out all the system befor bleading it. I know we swear that we ran so much fluid through the system that it must be flushed but by the time we get to the last bleader valve we're so good at it that it takes but a moment and we are done, but that may leave old fluid in it. and no suprise that its the last wheel in the brake bleading procedure that gives us those kind of problems.

check that centering piston in the distribution block, it may have finally begun to do its job.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
aggiegrad

Thanks everyone. I recall that it pulled to the right when braking hard which tells me it wasn't braking on the drivers side before. I only drove the truck a couple of weeks before braking it down to repair a few things. I have a plug somewhere for sure. I added a set of hoses to a summit order I had but now I am not they are the right ones. Today I took the one off and the hard lined drained all of the fluid out and I cant get anything to go through the hose so I believe that was the cause.

The summit order for the hose says it is 22" long each however and mine I just took off was only 12" or so. Does anyone know why they are different. Summit did not act like there were options so I never questioned it. I may go to the local parts store but wanted to check the wealth of knowledge here first.

Thanks again.
aggiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote