The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
mgreene

Need help with rear bumper

Hey everybody - first post.

I have been searching here for a couple of days for a thread about using a 90's step bumper on a '87 C10.

I have seen it mentioned a couple of times - guys have done it - but cant find any info about what might be required with the mounting brackets.

I have gone to the local junkyards for a 81-87 smooth bumper but no dice.

When I asked about the 90's bumper they were adamant that it wouldnt fit.

So what I need to do is go with the '88 and up model info and just buy it. The pic below is from Youtube guy Gearheadforlife it is the look I want.

I saw one today on a 90's 1500 and it looked just like this one.
Attached Images

mgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Need help with rear bumper

When they are adamant about it not fitting their going by what their book tells them..it probably wont just bolt up..anything can be made to fit anything given enough time and determination..its all in the bumper mounts..you'll probably have to fab mounts for it..or modify a factory set..if that's what you want then go ahead and get you the bumper..get it in place on the truck.maybe sit it on a set of jackstands...then start figuring out what you need to do to mount it..
Measure your frame width and such then go to the junkyard and measure the donor truck frame..that'll give you an idea of what your up against before you commit..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
mgreene

Good idea to measure. And yes - they were going by the book. I am hoping to get some "horses mouth" type info from someone who has done it.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm sure someone on here has done it..have you looked on ebay for a 1980s bumper..you can find some of them with free shipping..may be less hassle.I'm not sure of the exact 1980s bumper you wanted
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
mgreene

I kind of like the look of the 90's bumper. I have seen the smooth bumper in various places online but I would need the brackets anyway - and shipping is a killer.

I am dreaming that someone will tell me that the brackets will already fit with a little drilling.