The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
General23cmp

Bench seat install advice

1972. What's the best way to get a newly covered bench seat into a nicely painted and ready cab? It just seems like a tight fit, and I don't want to open the door too wide and damage anything. Should the rails be attached to the bench prior to going in? Do they get attached to the floor or seat first? It seems like either way, there will be bolts that are almost impossible to reach. I assume the seat back and bottom go in attached since the upholstery wraps around that joint, and I assume doors are not removed (I don't want to do that).

Thanks.
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: Bench seat install advice

Open the passenger door ,tape some card board over the threshold of the door opening to avoid scratches have seat rack hardware ready .

with 2 guys lift seat and enter thru passenger door while holding the seat have the person closest to the truck lift and gently set the seat down just inside the threshold and while the second guy patiently waits have the first guy go around the truck and crawl in and help lift the seat up and across the cab and set in place . line up 2 front bolts and just start them into the mounts , use the seat rack actuator to move the seat forward and install the rear seat bolts .Once Your sure the seat tracks are square and seat functions correctly tighten bolts down snugly and enjoy .

You can LIGHTLY spray some light machine oil or white lithium grease into the slides of the seat tracks prior to install to ease function when done. from grumpy
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
General23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Open the passenger door ,tape some card board over the threshold of the door opening to avoid scratches have seat rack hardware ready .

with 2 guys lift seat and enter thru passenger door while holding the seat have the person closest to the truck lift and gently set the seat down just inside the threshold and while the second guy patiently waits have the first guy go around the truck and crawl in and help lift the seat up and across the cab and set in place . line up 2 front bolts and just start them into the mounts , use the seat rack actuator to move the seat forward and install the rear seat bolts .Once Your sure the seat tracks are square and seat functions correctly tighten bolts down snugly and enjoy .

You can LIGHTLY spray some light machine oil or white lithium grease into the slides of the seat tracks prior to install to ease function when done. from grumpy
Thanks. Yes, I found that when searching, but it sounds like the reverse process I used getting a seat out of an old junker. In that process, getting it out the door was quite a challenge and I know I pushed the passenger door too far open, damaging something. I just thought there might be a better, safer way. It just didn't seem like there was enough space.
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
harpo231

Ya gotta be careful and patient, Its gonna go, but first bit coming in the door is at an angle. .
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
flashed

Get someone to help you .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote