The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Carlb

69 3/4 ton conversion questions

I'm converting a 69 3/4 ton 2wd manual shift, manual steering 6cyl to a
1990 305ci 700r4 automatic from a doner 2wd 1500 for my wife. And it's long bed stepside if you need to know.

Here are my questions/thoughts:

a) I need a 700r4 crossmember right? The $50 CPP one works?

b) I saw a retrofit of the CPSTL linkage to the manual column to make it a column shift automatic: Cool or Crap?

c) The biggee - Converting to powersteering. It looks like most boxes are on the inside of frame rails. The 69 has the box on the outside. Which box do I buy. Calling parts stores has been frustrating at best....

Thanks for all your help....
Carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: 69 3/4 ton conversion questions

Power steering conversion requires of course a power box, a pittman arm, power steering pump and hoses. With the 1990 engine you'll need to either #1--have some custom hoses made to go from flare fitting on the box to O ring on the pump, #2-- get an O ring style box or #3--swap out the nut on the back of the pump that is flared. Sounds complicated , but it's really not. Mostly a bolt and go deal. This conversion is easier with big block frame stands, it will put the engine about 1.5'' further back in the engine compartment so the serpentine will fit easier in relation to the radiator (with a big block shroud), unless you plan on running electric fans. And just get a steering column for an auto
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote