The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Miner69er

Upper Bedside Moulding Question

Looking for a real response on how to install the upper bed moulding with the correct clips, how do you get up behind the panel to screw on the nuts? Having searched all of the forums, I cannot find the correct answer. The adhesive idea is not the answer, as it always, and I mean always, comes apart.
Miner69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Upper Bedside Moulding Question

It's a spring clip, no nuts. Similar to taillight trim clips and tailgate molding clips
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
Miner69er

Thanks Randy. I just assumed that the clips I purchased from Brothers were the correct ones. They also have a youtube video on how to align the moulding, drilling the holes for the same clips I bought, but doesn't show them actually installing said nuts.....

The 72 that I just purchased was restored a few years ago, and they did a top notch job, except when it comes to the trim. One side has sheet metal screws driven straight through the face and the drivers side put on with several attempts at glue, gasket maker, and double sided tape. All are not acceptable, at least to me.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

Your welcome, 72 should have 2 spring clips at the back and one at the front, plastic clips with double sided tape on the intermediate clips. Tape on aftermarket clips sucks, buy some 3m automotive attachment tape, thin stuff, I rough up the plastic clips on my belt sander to prep for the 3m tape....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
notsolo

Couple days ago same subject, Chevyland suggests adding xtra clips, on long runs. Cab corners on mine did have cap nuts behind the seat....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741966
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Chevyland

Every piece of trim can be gotten to. From behind (for a nut) Upper and lower
To put clips with nuts
Except the upper trim on bed

I personally, never use tape(that's just me) I'm not saying it's right or wrong
And it's definitely not factory specs( they used tape on lower moldings too)

Always clips
Or clips with screws
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
Miner69er

Thank you all for responding. This forum is a valuable tool and I will contribute to keep it going. Nice to know that like-minded people are willing to share.

Upon further research, looking through the different after market sites, it appears that originally the trim on the bedsides did come with spring clips. Only later, who knows when, they decided to replace the clips with plastic plates with tape and leaving only the ends for spring clips. One can only wonder why, but possible that the spring clips require a decent size hole to mount, that concern over water damage/rust issues were the culprit.

Randy, you were right about the spring clips. However, I must follow the advice of Mr. Chevyland and proceed with spring clips the whole way without the threaded nut. I believe this to be a better solution, as I have lost faith in adhesive products in this type of application.