The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
milner

N2trux

I noticed in some of your pic that you have the hose from the air cleaner to the rad support. Could you tell me where to get one,or were you lucky enought that yours still had it when you bought it. Thanx.
milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
crackajacka
Stylin

i might still have one that goes from the air cleaner to the fender i dont know if it would fit the radiator support
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I was fortunate that my 77 came with a new one on it. It's not a reall tight fit at though. I think it may have come off a later model truck...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #4
crackajacka
Stylin

is this the piece your wanting?
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2003, 12:11 AM   #5
milner

I believe that is the peice,unfortunately mine was gone when I bought the truck. I think the one that was on mine originally was with the cloth and not plastic-I could be wrong.

Last edited by milner; 10-26-2003 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:13 AM   #6
milner

Almost forgot,N2TRUX I saw your truck in Truckin' mag ,hopefully someday one of mine will be there.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:21 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by milner
I believe that is the peice,unfortunately mine was gone when I bought the truck. I think the one that was on mine originally was with the cloth and not plastic-I could be wrong.
What year is your truck. The earlier trucks did run a cloth type material on the tubes. I'm not sure what year they changed to plastic though....
Old 10-26-2003, 12:22 AM   #8
milner

Duh-I guess that would help. It is a 79 Siverado 4X4. Has a 400 sbc.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:15 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Anyone out there with a 79 know what the correct part is? I don't think this style will work. I believe where it goes to the core support is different, but I'll have to look at mine again....
Old 10-26-2003, 04:29 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, did some investigating for you guys. I have parts and illustration catalogs for all years of our trucks. So, looking in the 73-78 catalog, GM didn't even show a duct these trucks. In 79 they do, it's part number 14004541, or so it says in the catalog. So, am I safe in assuming they didn't start the ducts until 79? The part number for the duct for my 85 is different. The duct is also different. It don't have the hump in it like the one in 79. I haven't tried to see if will exchange, but it might. Anyway, I took a pic of the 79's duct, and also the part number is different than what the catalog says. It is 14024595. It may have been supceded.

Here's the pic of the duct my 79 Big 10 has on it. I know it's original.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:21 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike,
All I have to look at is sales brochures, and they don't show anything. I think something is missing in your info though. I don't know for sure if everything on my 77 is correct, but I have seen 73-78 stock trucks with the duct tubing on them.

As I said, I don't think mine is 100% correct, but I do think it's the proper style....

Old 10-26-2003, 07:24 PM   #12
milner

Swervin Ervin,thanx for the info. I ran both part #s through Gmpartsdirect.com and they were both under $5.00.

N2TRUX,I think that you might be right about the right style thou.

Check tommorrow at work,try and have one of the parts guys look it up if Gmpartsdirect still lists the numbers,then we should to I hope.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:46 PM   #13
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Ken,

like I said, I don't know if this is true or not. I've never really paid much attention to 73-78 air cleaners. The books I have are genuine GM parts catalogs. I looked in the parts illustration catalog, which BTW, shows a drawing of every part, and gives you the page you need to look for in the parts catalog to find the part number. Anyway, they didn't show any 73-78 with a duct. Only the old style air cleaner that was made like a trumpet. Now in the 79-84 catalogs, they all showed ducts. This is all I can say because I don't own a 73-78 or never have. Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know for sure.

The difference in the ducts from 79 to say, my 85 is a fair amount. The 85 duct is more straight, with no hump where it leaves the air cleaner, like the one in my pic above. The location on the core support where they go is in a different location also. This is probably why they are so much different.

Mike
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:52 PM   #14
milner

Mike,I beleive you are right about the snorkel air cleaners. Whom ever owned my truck cut the snorkel about an inch from the base(still haven't figured that one out). Went to the local wrecking yard and he brought me a snorkel one off of a 78,mine looks like N2TRUX's.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Y'all are making me . Now I have no idea what mine is supposed to look like.

I know the breather could have been changed to a newer style and the hose came with it, but that wouldn't account for the hook up on the core support. I don't "think" my core support has been changed or modified.

You guys are making my head hurt
Old 10-27-2003, 12:59 AM   #16
milner

Sorry about that. I am new to this bodystyle(67-72 is normally my mode)but I am putting a 383 in place of the tired 400 within the next week and I thought that I would try and make it look somewhat factory. Not saying that the 77s didn't have a hose because I don't know. I do know that the juckyard pulled one off of a 78 and it was the snorkel,my buddy had a 77 and it is a snorkel.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:30 PM   #17
milner

Thanx guys,I used the part numbers and was able to order one from work. The first one seemed to be the right one,the second was supposedly from 83-86. Anyway,they are still available and priced right to.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:41 PM   #18
bigblock73
yeller

My 77 Blazer does NOT have a duct going to the core support, and I know mine is unmlested/original. Just an FYI.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:33 PM   #19
crackajacka
Stylin

u get the piece that fits into the core support? btw i think it was a sort of a factory mod like cool air intake cause it draws cooler air from the outside away from all the heat, thats just my 2 cents
Old 10-30-2003, 12:01 AM   #20
milner

Yup,the peice that goes into the radiator support was there,just the duct was missing,and the butchered up air cleaner. It will soon be better than new. Base/cleared the motor all the brackets,new aluminum intake and had Sean Murphy from SMI Carburetion do a stage 2 rebuild on the Q-Jet(third one from him).