The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #1
Root2812

My new 86 K10 daily driver

Hey guys. I wanted to post over here to introduce myself (I'm and over in the 47-59 section mostly). I will probably be asking lots of questions in the future.

Long story short, I had a 2014 crew cab Silverado with stupid high payments that I got tired of paying. That truck is gone now. I just wanted a good strong truck to do truck stuff. Enter my new K10.

I paid $1300 (plus a tonneau cover off the 2014) for this truck. 187,000 miles but runs absolutely perfect. Its a 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 305 auto. Its a waldoch trim truck. I know Waldoch is common here in MN but is it elsewhere too? Its a coach company that adds upgrades and fancy paint to new vehicles and sells them as special cars, mostly you see vans from them.

The truck has AC which doesn't work, power windows that work very slow, and power locks that lock but don't unlock... You know the good old used truck problems I'll be slowly fixing. But hey, it runs perfect. The truck came with load leveling air bags and a winch installed behind the front license place.

Tell me what you guys think. I know its got rust but its not a show truck or a restoration candidate, its a $1300 beater. I do love the dark brown paint with graphics, they give the truck some character. I like the brown interior too. thankfully the dash pad is in mint condition. I see LMC had tan ones but I haven't found any one with these cool dark brown ones in the aftermarket. Interior is one thing I plan to fix up some what since that's where I'll be.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Smniekamp

Re: My new 86 K10 daily driver

I love it, that paint scheme is pretty radical! Nothing wrong with using a truck as a truck. Hope you get many miles out of her.
Smniekamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Tash4

I like it. Pretty good deal even if it is a little rusty.
Tash4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
TKCR

I like it!! Interior looks pretty good too. I wonder what the seat looks like under that cover though.
Those blanket covers, when they start shedding... they make me itch, so I don't care for them at all.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Matt Man

I did the same thing in 2015 I had a truck with stupid high payments and sold it to fund my 81 k10. I now have a New Motor, vintage air conditioning, lockers, rebuilt axles, all new interior and just recently new paint. I am WAY under the cost of a new truck and unlike a newer truck, my 81 appreciates in value.

However, some things I miss about having my new truck
Airbags
Anti lock brakes
EFI
Overdrive (not a problem with a newer model like yours)
No old truck quirks (I understand this is what makes a old truck fun, but can be annoying at times)

Some inspiration for you!

2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
abig84

I daily drove 80s fullsizes up until around 04 when for some reason I wanted a truck payment. Around 2010 when I was looking for another one couldn't really find one I liked or cheap enough so went with a nbs 1990 silverado.

It's probably a good thing yours is not a show truck, it's nice to not worry about door dings or shopping carts out on the road
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Root2812

Thanks for the comments everyone. I put on 300 miles this week and am pulling about 14 mpg. I am pretty happy with it. I do need to fix the second tank though. Running only one 16 gallon gas tank leads to to many stops at the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I like it!! Interior looks pretty good too. I wonder what the seat looks like under that cover though.
Those blanket covers, when they start shedding... they make me itch, so I don't care for them at all.
Yeah, I need to take that cover off but I am afraid what I will find and the blanket cover hasn't made me itch yet. The interior is in really nice shape expect someone smoked it in and the carpet had a bunch of burn holes and lots of wear. The headliner was sagging so I pulled it out and will need to replace it. The seat is still the big question mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
I did the same thing in 2015 I had a truck with stupid high payments and sold it to fund my 81 k10. I now have a New Motor, vintage air conditioning, lockers, rebuilt axles, all new interior and just recently new paint. I am WAY under the cost of a new truck and unlike a newer truck, my 81 appreciates in value.

However, some things I miss about having my new truck
Airbags
Anti lock brakes
EFI
Overdrive (not a problem with a newer model like yours)
No old truck quirks (I understand this is what makes a old truck fun, but can be annoying at times)

Some inspiration for you!

Thanks for the inspirational pics. I do like gas milage and the perks of EFI. I know that if the 305 with 187K miles dies I will want to do a 5.3 LS swap but I need to finish the swap in my 1950 truck before I start another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
I daily drove 80s fullsizes up until around 04 when for some reason I wanted a truck payment. Around 2010 when I was looking for another one couldn't really find one I liked or cheap enough so went with a nbs 1990 silverado.

It's probably a good thing yours is not a show truck, it's nice to not worry about door dings or shopping carts out on the road
That's the truth. About 5 months after I bought the 2014 some teenagers in the city pulled up along side me in the middle of the night and egged my truck and then drove across the median and took off. I washed the egg off but the shell left a nasty circular scratch on one door. I was pretty pissed. With this truck I could just hose off the egg and go to bed.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Root2812

Do you guys know any good places to call about rust free beds from southern states? Mine is more rusty than I thought so that is probably one body repair I will do this winter. I would rather just swap to a nice rust free bed than to deal with putting in box sides and a bed floor from some aftermarket company.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
TKCR

The headliner can be recovered. I've done a few, they are pretty easy. Mine was a color change, from maroon to grey. And then I just did the blue one, for a friend a few weeks ago. It was for a 96 Ford.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Root2812

Quote:
The headliner can be recovered. I've done a few, they are pretty easy. Mine was a color change, from maroon to grey. And then I just did the blue one, for a friend a few weeks ago. It was for a 96 Ford.
That's what I am hoping to do. I have a can of the spray glue already and my wife loves those fabric stores. One way when I was drug along I was looking at leather to get interior color ideas for my other project and after while I stumbled across headliner material. If they have a light brown/tan that's close to my interior I want to buy some this weekend.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
TKCR

Use this stuff. And there's a few places online where you can get a color sample card for about $5. That way you can pick the right color. That's what I did. I have a few places, but I'm at work now. I'll post them this weekend.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 07-22-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:20 AM   #12
TKCR

Here's the place:

http://yourautotrim.com/purchase-a-a...r-sample-card/
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
abig84

you can always check craigslist for rust free parts. it sucks cause for me, and probably you too, every rust free item is always like 800 miles west or south. im casually looking for a 70s-80s truck and always looking in colorado as i have family there. im always seeing beds and other rust free parts much for the same price as you would spend on one in your condition.

you may get lucky in the midwest and find one but im sure they will want like 900 for it.... which i guess technically aint that bad especially if you have to drive 800+ miles or have it shipped just to save a few hundred
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
Root2812

Here's my first ever post from my phone.. Hopefully you guys can understand it.

So yesterday I got out there and got to work. I'm pleased so far. I started by just taking off the broken bug deflector and then got in there and pulled the headliner. It's came out easy. I had my wife take me to Jo Ann Fabrics and I got some headliner material that's nearly an exact match. It was on sale and my wife had a 20% off coupon. In the end I got all the fabric I need and then some for $22. A can of spray glue was $10. My $32 investment should look as good as some $170 reproduction headliner. We will see.... I haven't got to the glueing yet.

I also decided to rip out that seat cover. I liked the look but it was pretty dirty and having been smoked it I wanted to get down to the seat anyway so I can fabreeze it. I was please with the condition of the seat so the cover got tossed. I may get a new one later. The seat looks too good for 187k miles. I can tell someone added a little matte padding in the drivers back rest but it is comfortable.

Last edited by Root2812; 07-24-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: This phone things isn't working for pictures. I'll have to upload them later. Stand by...
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #15
Root2812

2nd try with picture upload.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2017, 02:17 AM   #16
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
2nd try with picture upload.
Your right, that's not in too bad of shape. If you want to hang onto the seat for awhile, until you can re-cover it, and this will help with the smoke smell too. Go rent a steam extractor and clean your seat and carpet. I detail on the side, so I have my own steam extractor, but look at the difference it makes.

The 1st pic is of my truck when I first bought it. I have since changed the interior to charcoal. You can see the line in the carpet. It really brought the color back out.
The other pics are of seat cover that I cleaned before I took it off. It too was in really good shape, so I couldn't see throwing a good cover away. I found this blue seat in a salvage yard and I restored it with a new cover. It's the 3rd seat behind the maroon one, which turn out to be a reupholstered seat, in LEATHER.
The last pic is of the maroon leather after I got it all cleaned up.

You can also take your seat belt retractors out and clean them with the steam extractor too. I've done several now, and it works pretty good.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 07-25-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #17
Root2812

Quote:
Your right, that's not in too bad of shape. If you want to hang onto the seat for awhile, until you can re-cover it, and this will help with the smoke smell too. Go rent a steam extractor and clean your seat and carpet. I detail on the side, so I have my own steam extractor, but look at the difference it makes.

The 1st pic is of my truck when I first bought it. I have since changed the interior to charcoal. You can see the line in the carpet. It really brought the color back out.
The other pics are of seat cover that I cleaned before I took it off. It too was in really good shape, so I couldn't see throwing a good cover away. I found this blue seat in a salvage yard and I restored it with a new cover. It's the 3rd seat behind the maroon one, which turn out to be a reupholstered seat, in LEATHER.
The last pic is of the maroon leather after I got it all cleaned up.

You can also take your seat belt retractors out and clean them with the steam extractor too. I've done several now, and it works pretty good.
Where would I be able to rent or buy one of those steam extractors? I have a carpet shampooer that has a hand wand but it doesn't do steam.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
TKCR

Quote:
Where would I be able to rent or buy one of those steam extractors? I have a carpet shampooer that has a hand wand but it doesn't do steam.
I would think any rental place would have them to rent. As far as buying, do a search online for steam extractors. There are all sizes and prices to choose from. Just make sure it offers heat. The extremely hot water is the key. Mine is a Mytee Lite ii, it retails for about $1000. But if you search around enough, I finally found a brand new one for about $650. I Detail cars so I could justify the cost. I also use is to clean my own carpeting in the house and cars.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #19
Root2812

I got the old headliner recovered and installed. It was a fun project. Total cost $35. We will see how long it lasts but I used a high quality glue. The material I used was a bit thicker than stock so getting the trim back on was a pain. I put a small crack in one piece but it's not noticeable.

I need to stop trying to do this with my phone. I got a pic uploaded but it's sideways.

Edit.. Fixed it. Pic is right now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Root2812; 08-07-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #20
TKCR

Quote:
I got the old headliner recovered and installed. It was a fun project. Total cost $35. We will see how long it lasts but I used a high quality glue. The material I used was a bit thicker than stock so getting the trim back on was a pain. I put a small crack in one piece but it's not noticeable.

I need to stop trying to do this with my phone. I got a pic uploaded but it's sideways.
Looks good!! As long as you got good coverage on both the headliner and the board, it will be fine. Have you had any luck finding a steam cleaner to rent?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #21
Root2812

Quote:
Looks good!! As long as you got good coverage on both the headliner and the board, it will be fine. Have you had any luck finding a steam cleaner to rent?
I did get good coverage on both pieces. There is one bubble in a curve where I got the material too tight so its not all the way down in the middle of the tight curve but otherwise I got all the fabric pressed down good. When I glued it I did two coats on the board and two on the fabric and then followed the timing instructions on the can.

I haven't hunted down a steamer yet. I just vacuumed the truck out for now.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #22
Root2812

I took the truck on a nice 300 mile trip this weekend and everything went well except for two things. The steering kept getting worse and worse. I pulled over and looked and my rear drag link is shot. I got it home and ordered the whole drag link set up and have Moog parts on the way from Rockauto. I also realized I NEED to get that second tank fixed. Once 16 gallon tank is not enough for roadtrips.

While ordering parts I came across on that I need and could not find online. Its not related to the steering or fuel tank but I knew I needed it and tried to look anyway. Do you guys know if its possible to get a new latch for a rear slider window? Mine looks like it was glues to the sliding glass and fell off.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #23
LT7A

I like your truck and your plan for how to use it. It's always nice to see somebody who's smarter than me and saves money by having an interest in these trucks rather than just spends it, haha. About your rear window latch, an auto glass installer could probably reglue that for you. The stuff they use to put the rear view mirror mount in the center of the windshield seems like it would work.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #24
MTCK

Good looking rig and nice work on the headliner recover. You're only 3 new truck payments deep and have a pretty nice rig!

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:17 AM   #25
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I like your truck and your plan for how to use it. It's always nice to see somebody who's smarter than me and saves money by having an interest in these trucks rather than just spends it, haha. About your rear window latch, an auto glass installer could probably reglue that for you. The stuff they use to put the rear view mirror mount in the center of the windshield seems like it would work.
I wish I was smart and saved money. Dumping the payment in favor of the paid for 86 was just the start. I also sold my motorcycle and now have my 1959 corvette for sale. That car should bring me $45k easy and allow me to pay off some debts and start over. Someday I do want to find a square body crew cab truck and try and recreate everything I loved about my 2014 from the power everything to the modern drive line. Until then I am enjoying this 86.

I would reglue that piece except it was missing when I got the truck. I was hoping I could find one to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
Good looking rig and nice work on the headliner recover. You're only 3 new truck payments deep and have a pretty nice rig!
Thanks for the compliment. That headliner turned out pretty good for a first time ever doing one. You are right about the payments, This truck cost what 3 payments on the 2014 were and I was just leasing the other one. Had I bought it out it would have cost even more.

I think next summer I am going to start the rust repair on the 86 cab so it will last a good long while.