The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

what could it be? nuetral safety switch issue 1991 sub.

The other day my 91 1/2 ton 4X4 suburban (still a squarebody!) wouldn't start, in park key all the way forward -nothing.... after checking the battery/connections, the fuseable links I was stumped.
then out of nowhere on a try it cranked over.
-then nothing again
I mentioned this to a friend, and he suggested to try moving the shift lever around in neutral and or park to see if there was a sweet spot to get it started.
that worked!
it has been starting fine, about 20 times, and only 1 other time did I need to move the shift lever to get it going.
then this morning -nothing, no moving the lever-nothing

I did a quick internet search, and it looks like the green/blue wire is for the reverse lights, the other post has orange and black. - I put a jumper between the orange/black to bypass the switch- that did not work

I went into my parts trucks and found 2 switches that had the same plugs

I tried both of them and still nothing...

now I am stumped
any suggestions?

here are some pics of what the switch looks like I pirated from a google search
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
wilkin250r

Re: what could it be? nuetral safety switch issue 1991 sub.

There is another likely culprit, you can find a picture of it in this thread here: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=743864

When your suburban does not start, do all the other electrical components work properly? Lights, radio, ect ect?

Have you diagnosed the starter? You can remove it and take it to a shop (often, even just a basic auto parts store) and have it bench-tested. Or, often a couple light hits with a hammer will temporarily cure your problem. If the hammer works, it's a sign of worn brushes in the motor itself, and it will progressively get worse, but it's often enough to get you moving.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
LEEVON

When you say checked the fusible link, how? I had one of these giving me fits, would intermittently not start, It was an 88 c1500. Starter was fine, battery and alternator were fine, the ignition switch was very loose so we were focused on that but it wound up being the fusible link. We even let the truck go after replacing the switch because it didn't fire before but fired every time after. When it came back we only replaced that on a similar experience from one of our techs.

Last edited by LEEVON; 08-05-2017 at 09:44 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
There is another likely culprit, you can find a picture of it in this thread here: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=743864

When your suburban does not start, do all the other electrical components work properly? Lights, radio, ect ect?

Have you diagnosed the starter? You can remove it and take it to a shop (often, even just a basic auto parts store) and have it bench-tested. Or, often a couple light hits with a hammer will temporarily cure your problem. If the hammer works, it's a sign of worn brushes in the motor itself, and it will progressively get worse, but it's often enough to get you moving.
everything else works , headlights, dome lights, windows, and the gauges that do work power up.

I haven't pulled the starter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
When you say checked the fusible link, how? I had one of these giving me fits, would intermittently not start, It was an 88 c1500. Starter was fine, battery and alternator were fine, the ignition switch was very loose so we were focused on that but it wound up being the fusible link. We even let the truck go after replacing the switch because it didn't fire before but fired every time after. When it came back we only replaced that on a similar experience from one of our techs.

My friend said that if it was burned, I should be able to pull on it and it would stretch and then break...
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
LEEVON

Your friend is incorrect.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Your friend is incorrect.
sounds good, I am thinking I will need to start with a test light at those wires and start working my way up to the ignition switch?

if I have power at the neutral safety with the ign. in start, then it is probably the fuseable link? , and if I don't have power at the neutral safety then it would be the ignition switch?