The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Gunnin4ya

Nitrous Bottle Location

I have a 65 with the stock bench and was wondering if anyone know if the bottle will fit behind the seat? Trying to figure it out before ordering stuff. Thanks
Gunnin4ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Nitrous Bottle Location

Not with the stock tank there.
And IF you put the bottle in the cabin,, do yourself a favor and get the 'blow-off' vent kit and route it outside through the floor or back wall or whatever. If the pressure rises to the point of blowoff,,, even 1/2 a bottle will fill the cab with a dense fog you can NOT see through (not to mention the SO2 they add to keep the huffers away will choke the crap out of you.

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) forms sulfuric acid when mixed with water, a small amount of sulfur in the stomach thats already full of hydrochloric acid isnt going to harm much. Sulfuric acid in the lungs is a VERY different story...can and will cause chemical pneumonia with enough exposure.

So I guess my point her eis,, imagine yourself doing 100MPH+, blinded in a fog so you cant even see the windshield, and now take your greath away and you can't breathe

GET the VENT KIT Please,,, or mount it in the bed.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Gunnin4ya

I forgot that part, tank is under the bed. It will definitely have a blowdown tube in it. Just didn't know if the seat would allow a 7" diameter bottle.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I could not get a bottle to fit the way I wanted behind the seat, so I mounted mine in the bed, and went to two 15 lb bottles. I'm not a big fan of running a nitrous bottle in the cockpit area anyway...which, as Marv mentioned, you have to run a pressure release/blow down kit to the outside per NHRA rules.
Attached Images

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Gunnin4ya

That is one sick ride vin. I was hoping not to have to put it in my new bed. But that looks great. How hot can the bottles get before it becomes dangerous? Not that it gets driven much.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

You have 2 issues with it in the bed. N2o goes 'criticle' at (I believe) 97° Critical not meaning explosive, just meaning it boils to a GAS,, no liquid. Pressures go NUTZ, dimple solenoid seats, and,,, you need LIQUID N2O not GAS. The blowofff dist bursts at (I again I believe) around 2000PSI).
I tried running a big plate system for a while here in Az. When it was 105° at midnight, I had to keep one bottle on ice, and the other wrapped and with a blanket and use a heater when I was 3rd in the staging lanes to get pressure up.

2Nd issue is access. Jumping out to turn the bottles on and off is a bit of a pain,, and those electronic remote bottle valves are subject to the same dimpled seat / failures caused by pressure issue.

I guess all of that is just the effects of of exposure to sun and cold or whatever your climate brings. On the race track it's a more controlled environment where you can swap in fresh bottles, throw a sun shield over them or use a heater to get pressure up on a cold day.

On the street,,, a little more problematic for those 4-5 seconds you want it to impress the girls on main street.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

For the integrity of the aluminum bottle, I would not want the surface to exceed 300 degrees.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
Gunnin4ya

It will just be for playing around with. Not going to be at the track. I appreciate the help and information. This gets me in the right direction for sure.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
urmyboyblue

Turning the bottle sideways instead of in line with the vehicle will cause the liquid nitrous to run away from the pickup tube during hard acceleration with a bottle that is not completely full. It is best to mount the bottle or bottles in line with the vehicle- high side to the front of the vehicle so that the nitrous will not run away from the pickup tube. Nitrous tunes assume liquid nitrous being injected. Gaseous nitrous will cause the engine to run REAL rich.

That said, I mount mine right beside me on my console when I mount it. I don't always have the bracket in because some states have laws against operable nitrous systems on a vehicle. It makes it easy to turn on after the heating the tires. If you have room and access or are willing to make access, consider mounting it under the bed. Unless it is just there to show off.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Don't worry about the bottle mount orientation...as long as the bottle is within your operating weight (I usually refill or change bottles when I get around half full) and pressure, and not mounted with the valve pointed in a downward angle you will be OK.

You'll read all sorts of theories of bottle orientation. There are even some who swear that the valve needs to be pointed to the rear of the car so that the liquid will be forced up the siphon tube during acceleration. In the end there has been no definitive study or results that indicate one mounting orientation being better than the other.

I've been racing with nitrous since the early 1990s and had my bottles mounted in nearly all angles in relation to the vehicle from sideways, 45 degree, to inline with no difference. Just pay attention to the weight and pressure. It would be a good idea to weigh the bottle after a pass to get an idea of how much you are using per pass, per tune for baseline purposes.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
Gunnin4ya

Thanks for that information. Looked for a place under the bed and nothing that would have descent access. I ordered some billet brackets and just going to put it in the bed . I like the way yours looks vin. Won't be to bad to get it in and out.