The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
brandster

20" wheels for a 6 lug

Found several wheels that I like but not sure how they will fit. I still have the stock 6 lug drum brake setup. This will be going on a 68 c10 and will be using the same size wheel for front and back. The wheel im looking at has the following specs:

Backspacing: 5
Wheelsize: 20
Wheelwidth: 9
Hubbore: 108.00
Offset: 0

Will I have issues with fitment? If fitment ok, will the wheel sit inside fender well, about even with fender well, stick out past fender well a little?

Never really understood wheel specifications, any help appreciated. Thanks.
brandster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
hewittca

Re: 20" wheels for a 6 lug

That wheel should work no problem on the front. I have 22x9 on the front of mine with a 6" backspace and the wheels tuck about 2". With a 5" backspace that will push the wheel out one more inch, so the fronts should tuck about 1". That's with keeping the drums up front as you mentioned.

On the rear, you may have some problems. With a 5" backspace your tire is going to be really close to the inside of the wheel tub. My rear wheels have a 4" backspace and I think I have a little over an inch before the tire touches the wheel tub. On the outside, a 9" wheel with a 5" backspace will tuck about 1.5-2 inches.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
brandster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
That wheel should work no problem on the front. I have 22x9 on the front of mine with a 6" backspace and the wheels tuck about 2". With a 5" backspace that will push the wheel out one more inch, so the fronts should tuck about 1". That's with keeping the drums up front as you mentioned.

On the rear, you may have some problems. With a 5" backspace your tire is going to be really close to the inside of the wheel tub. My rear wheels have a 4" backspace and I think I have a little over an inch before the tire touches the wheel tub. On the outside, a 9" wheel with a 5" backspace will tuck about 1.5-2 inches.
Thanks for the info!
brandster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
indymachinist

Before you get carried away with expensive wheels... decide what the future will hold for your brake and suspension setup.

A lot of people switch to 5 lug when they go disc brakes. You can keep 6 lug also though.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote