The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Big Blue

100 AMP Alternator

Looking to replace my 63 amp alternator with a 100 amp alternator with V belts. Can I get one that will fit right into the stock brackets and bolt holes? I plan on running an electric fan. That should be the only draw on the system other then the normal things. The parts guy said i'll have to modify my brackets and maybe drill holes for the bolt. Thanks ,John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
my56chevytruck

Re: 100 AMP Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Looking to replace my 63 amp alternator with a 100 amp alternator with V belts. Can I get one that will fit right into the stock brackets and bolt holes? I plan on running an electric fan. That should be the only draw on the system other then the normal things. The parts guy said i'll have to modify my brackets and maybe drill holes for the bolt. Thanks ,John
John,
I can't say for 100% fact, but I do believe as long as they are the same brand they should bolt up the same, BUT, are you upgrading your wiring? It would be my guess you'll need a larger gauge wire to the alternator than what you have now.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

If you are willing to settle for a 94 amp, then you can buy a drop in replacement assuming your current one is a 10SI.

Site with lots of info on subject: http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
gmachinz
Account Suspended

If you want to upgrade to a CS alternator, grab one for a 1988 Olds Firenza 2.0 FI and swap pulleys. You will need to upgrade the wiring but its worth upgrading to a 90A CS vs a 100A SI because the CS alternator voltage regulator has a much faster response to changes in voltage fluctuations than the SI variety.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
truckin 79

I just switched alternators in my Trans Am because I needed more amps at idle for AC and blower fan. Google 10si to CS130 and you will find plenty of info. The power windows going up and down would draw a lot of amps and you could see needle visibly move on voltage gauge. You need to buy a conversion wire 12.00 and then find a cs130 alternator which I found for 50 bucks 105 amps. I did not change any wires since alternator only puts out what vehicle needs and the wiring in TA is in good shape. The new alternator just laughs at amp draw of windows going up and down now. Best upgrade I made to the TA but dont think my truck will need this upgrade for a while.
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...s/3728021.html

Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Jake Wade

I put one of these on my '85, worked great!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...olet/model/c10
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
Big Blue

WHOW,YOU GUS ARE GREAT. I did not plan on upgrading my wire. But if I have to then I will. It looks like the one from Summit is the one I can use. If I go that route do I still have to upgrade the wire? And the 94 one sounds like one I can use if I go also. I failed to mention that I will be putting electric door lock s and windows as well as a electric fan system. So I would like more amp then less. Again thanks for the great information and the quick response to my Question. That's why I stay here and learn.

Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

This is merely another option: I like to convert to a GM serpentine swap as seen in one pic and with that kit, I can add my 140A CS144 alternator adapter bracket kit to it to allow this massive alternator. I prefer tonuse the 94-97 Impala sS versions with my HD bracket kit. The stock setup is my father in laws 77 while the 140A alt is on my 86 K10 but I posted both pics to show a stock setup and an upgraded one.
Attached Images

gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
Big Blue

Thanks gmachinz, I plan on doing just that, adding a serpentine system after I get then engine running. This is my project that is in my signature below. I want to make sure that everything is up and running before I complete the build. When that time comes I will be asking more question on how to set up a Serpentine belt system. Stick around I my need you.
John