The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
Steven R

tight hood hinges , Question

Ok so I am currently at the point of getting the final fitment of the body panels aand I think I have a issue with might be know as loose hood hinges. I sandblasted the hinges with the springs removed, I then replaced the springs, (which have not been sandblasted) and then tested the hood on. when I close the hood from the fully open, it looks like the rear lifts before it will begin to close. At fully closed the rear of the hood (at the windshield) will not sit down unless I go to each rear corner and push it down.

I am asking is this what you all would describe as a loose hood hinge?

Is this just poor hood adjustment?

I recently read a comment that you can only find out if hood hinges are loose after you install them. Your thoughts about this?

So I am at a road block with issue. And want to solve this before I send this truck out for body work and paint.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
72_swb

Re: tight hood hinges , Question

The rivets are probably wore out. And have play in them. Move the hood up and down 2-4" at a time and look at the pivot points. Very common on these old trucks. There's a guy that rebuilds them for 250. I would go that route over China ones. Larry on his build bought some on eBay. Im currious how they will work. They have a shock and is a different style.
72_swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
72_swb

http://www.hoodhingerepair.com

I think this is the guy. Willie is his name. I havnt used him but plan on it. I've heard good reviews.

And if you hinges are wore out. You'll fight yourself trying to get that hood aligned
Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Yup, worn rivets. My brother and I drilled out the old rivets, reamed the holes, and made special bolts, to use on the hood of my '68 Skylark, back when he had a mill and a lathe.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Saved the link to my "truck work" folder. Thanks for the link!

I am putting my front end back on right now, if I run into this I can get my hinges fixed.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
72_swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Saved the link to my "truck work" folder. Thanks for the link!

I am putting my front end back on right now, if I run into this I can get my hinges fixed.
No problem. I talked to the guy. Nice guy. He drills them and makes his own rivets. Fixing to send out a set. Mine are bad. Have to push the hood down lol.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72_swb View Post
No problem. I talked to the guy. Nice guy. He drills them and makes his own rivets. Fixing to send out a set. Mine are bad. Have to push the hood down lol.
My hinges are probably pretty decent, but there's 50 years on these trucks. I'm sending my hinges with NOS springs to Willie, and the door hinges too. Only question for me is satin black, zinc phosphate color or Seymour Cast Blast?. http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/colors/
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #8
PDXk5

Yep, I plan to use Hood Hinge Repair too. I spoke with Willie a while back, very nice guy. We talked through finish options. I was thinking of having him restore the hinges and then sending the hinges to have phosphate coated. They were willing to do what I wanted but I think they were thinking that would be not a great plan because the raw metal (after their blasting) could rust by the time it reached the phosphate coating company. Based on that, I'm thinking just having them paint satin black.

From what I understood they just rattle can the hinges but if you are looking for a show room quality finish you should plan to have someone else paint over and just use their finish as a primer.
PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXk5 View Post
Yep, I plan to use Hood Hinge Repair too. I spoke with Willie a while back, very nice guy. We talked through finish options. I was thinking of having him restore the hinges and then sending the hinges to have phosphate coated. They were willing to do what I wanted but I think they were thinking that would be not a great plan because the raw metal (after their blasting) could rust by the time it reached the phosphate coating company. Based on that, I'm thinking just having them paint satin black.

From what I understood they just rattle can the hinges but if you are looking for a show room quality finish you should plan to have someone else paint over and just use their finish as a primer.
Bummer, rattle can huh? I suppose that would be alright for a primer coat. Seems they could just oil them, and the phosphate process includes a good cleaning.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote