The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #1
gmc4x4can

Big oil leak problem near filter

Ive only put about 500 miles on my truck since I bought it. About 300 miles ago, had a big leak somewhere around the oil filter after burning through half a tank of gas that day. Chugging up a hill on the highway smelled oil look back and theres a cloud behind me and oil gauge is dropping fast. Pull over, find the oil filter is loose, tighten it hand tight, pour a quart in and limp it to town to get the filter changed hoping it had just blown the oring or something. They do all that truck has been fine last 300 miles.

Today drove about 200 miles back home, highway and smaller paved roads up hills ect no problem. Get to town at empty, usually add a quart every tank and it was just above add so i poured it in. Drive around town pick up gf all is good, then about 10 miles after i filled up we pull into safeway and i smell oil again, park and theres a good drip under the truck. Wipe it up best i could, limp back home most of way, last part is 1 mile all up hill in third gear at 2500 its smoking like crazy, get to the top get in the driveway and its a mess underneath, dipstick is back down to add line. Ill start it tomorrow and look for the leak, all i could find tonight was a rub mark on the filter from the clutch rod, maybe it barely rubbed through. Im pretty confused how it rears its ugly head so randomly. Luckily ive been close to town bot times. Is my clutch rod supposed to be in inner or outer hole? Or does it even matter?
Attached Images

gmc4x4can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Big oil leak problem near filter

Suspect something is way out of alignment, maybe engine or trans mounts. That clutch rod should not be anywhere near the oil filter. Suggest good clean up, check engine mounts and clutch pivot mounts be checked. By inner or outer hole, if you mean in the clutch fork, it should be where it is.

Your cross link z bar could also be on backwards pushing the rod too close to the oil filter.

A new oil filter of course as the rod has cut thru the filter can.

Last edited by AussieinNC; 09-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Just to add to Aussie's reply, if the rod is pushing that hard on the filter it could be breaking the seal on the filter canister, if it is not worn through. that would pump the oil out pretty quick.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Jcbsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc4x4can View Post
Chugging up a hill on the highway smelled oil look back and theres a cloud behind me and oil gauge is dropping fast.
Your truck has an oil gauge?!? The factory must have known something was going to happen!
Jcbsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Jcfcamaro

Looks like the oil is coming up higher and in front of filter. The air/wind while driving will push it back towards the rear of engine. Is the oil dip stick on the drivers side? I'd look where it goes into the block or I'd say you have a valve cover gasket leaking.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
cleszkie

First of all, something is definitely wrong with your clutch linkage. As stated above, the rod should be nowhere near the oil filter, and it shouldn't be bent to go around the filter. My clutch rod is dead straight between the z-bar and the clutch fork. It is located well outboard of the oil filter. In your setup, the back and forth action of the clutch rod is clearly cutting into the filter. It may be unscrewing the filter as well. As stated above, it does look like there is oil leaking from above the filter as well. Take some pictures of your entire clutch linkage setup and post them up. I'm certain we will be able to identify the issue with your linkage if nothing else.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
gmc4x4can

Ok got the gf to hold the clutch pedal down while i crawled underground. Sure enough the rod bumps the filter. I marked the area on the rod where it contacts, ill attempt to bend it more than it is already. The z bar ball joint was screwed directly into engine block all the way, maybe it needs to be threaded out a bit to push the z bar away from the engine. I might try bending the already bent z bar bracket away from the filter too, might be bent too much.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
JG358

Pretty sure the rod on my clutch is straight(or really close to it). From the look of the first pic in your last post, I'd think perhaps they installed the rod from the wrong side? Think the clip should be on the block side and the adjustment nuts should be on the outside? I haven't been under it in a while.

Last edited by JG358; 09-18-2017 at 08:25 PM.
JG358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
bill3rail

That clutch rod may stress bend while clutching uphill causing it to rub the filter.

At least you can say everything is well lubricated!

Bill
Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
AussieinNC

The pic of the z link shows the top lever bent over approx 30 degrees...it should be straight, 90 degrees to the tube...that's why the rod is hitting the filter. Also, not sure the ball should be direct into the block, most mount on a short piece of metal...depends on the alignment of the tube.

Check your engine mounts, straighten the z link lever to be 90 degrees to the tube, lube it all up and test fit the rod...I suspect it will fit in the other way...straighten the release push rod, it should be straight.

Post pics of it installed.....

Replace that oil filter and wash the oil off the engine....

Your gf sounds like a keeper....
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #11
gmc4x4can

Thanks for the help, got it back on the road,had to bend the rod more, got a good 1/2" of clearance for now. new filter, the rod rubbed through just a pin head size hole on original, amazing how much oil sprayed out of there. My z bar I can see the bent arm was cut off and re welded near end of tube about 1 ". It needs the bend to clear exhaust. I will be going to get a new z bar next time off, guy down the road has about 50 of these trucks that have kept me on the road.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
cleszkie

Your truck is a 4x4, like mine, so having the ball stud screw directly into the engine block is correct. I believe the 2x4 setup requires the bracket on the engine block that was mentioned above. The difference is due to the fact that the engine on 4x4 models sits farther back towards the firewall than in 2x4 models.

Also note that there are many different z-bars configurations out there! you can't just grab one and expect it to work. There are z-bars for inline six engines and V8s, 2x4 and 4x4. They are all different. You need a z-bar for a 4x4 V8 application. This goes for the frame mounted bracket as well. I am assuming that your frame mounted bracket is riveted on, so it is correct. If it is bolted on, there is a chance you have the wrong frame bracket as well. I went through this when I converted my Blazer from TH350 auto to SM465 manual. I will try and get some pictures of my linkage, which I believe is correct for the 4x4 V8 application.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote