The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
msg

66 c10 sound system advice?

Ive tried asking in the audio section and not had much luck so I figure since I am looking for 66 specific maybe some of you guys can give some advice.

There hasnt been a working stereo in my truck since I bought her in 96. I have been restoring her for a few years now and I would like to keep her original looking but with the modern bells and whistles. Currently the truck is dismantled and will need a new wiring harness.There is no sound system at all. The snooping I have done so far lead me to Custom AutoSound, RetroSound, and found a guy in Tennessee that takes a core unit and converts to AM/FM stereo/Aux input/USB port/Blue-Tooth with Voice Command, Aux/USB cables, 8GB thumb drive, Mic, Warranty, for 645.00 + the core and shipping.

I was hoping as most would, not to get carried away and get a nice looking and sounding system going and the bluetooth would be great but not a must. The cab I also wanted to not modify meaning keeping the doors and kick panels stock but under the bench and out of view I think is where I would try to add the rest of the sound system. Anyone been down this road and had some success?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: 66 c10 sound system advice?

Mine is still a work in progress, but here's my plan:

I found a manufacturer of repo head units that look like the factory unit but with modern internals for about $550. http://www.classiccarstereos.com/196...uck-radio.html

For speakers I grafted in some speaker grilles in the dash and rear cab corners. The pattern is modeled after the pattern of the dash center speaker. They will accept 4" x6" speakers.

Finally, I plan to install a simple compact powered sub under the seat to help with the lows that will be lacking with the 4 x 6's. http://www.classiccarstereos.com/sel...ubwoofers.html

I had the luxury of a water jet to cut out the grills. They were time consuming to weld in but in the end they look factory. I also used a sheet metal slip roller to match the contours of the dash and cab corners. I did all this to get the same result as you are looking for; a modern system that looks factory and hidden at the same time. Time will tell how well it works. Not a killer system but should sound decent.

Soon as I get home I will upload some pics.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
otterscope

Once I got the interior the way I wanted, I didn't want to cut into the dash, door, etc.. I decided to get a good bluetooth speaker and connect with phone. A simple center console to hold it and best of all, I can take it out when I want to.
Attached Images

otterscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
damnyankee36

Here's what I've done so far...
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterscope View Post
Once I got the interior the way I wanted, I didn't want to cut into the dash, door, etc.. I decided to get a good bluetooth speaker and connect with phone. A simple center console to hold it and best of all, I can take it out when I want to.
Like that it can be easy to move in/out Otterscope, pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
Here's what I've done so far...
Damnyankee36! Thats going many an extra mile,nice work! Ill look into the repro radios a bit more, but I might try simplifying.I dont usually listen to the radio so having an AM/FM conversion I could probably do without. As long as I can come up with a clean way to get my phone or ipod to sync up via bluetooth to a decent sound system thats all I need. I will be cutting into the dash to install the stock looking AC vents but was trying to not do more than that.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
rustbucket66

I had a guy take my original radio and put the new stuff in like you described. I like having the stock looking dash, and the radio has all the nice functions. I keep my ipod in the ash tray with the plug hooked to it. I just have the ipod hanging out of the ash tray when I am using it. I built this thing behind the seat out of fibreglass. It holds the speakers and gives some storage too. The knob to open the door is a choke cable knob like the dash has.
Attached Images

rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
spacedebris

I personally like the looks of the custom autosound. The nice thing is that it LOOKS like the OE radio and will fit the dash without cutting, but has all the modern features. Also I just watched an episode of My Classic Car and the guy from CAS said that they now have a blu tooth system "Add on" that will work with all their current radios. Now unfortunately they dont have the slidebar option for the pre 67 models yet but their current versions are very nice. I also like the fact that you can start with the base unit and add options as you go so you dont have to jump into the deep end all at once. You can start with the radio and add in amps, extra speakers, blu tooth, etc. later. And for the most part they are reasonably priced.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

rustbucket66 - Now there's something you could sell.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
Indian113

With the changes I am doing to my 64 and the PO putting a Kenwood Stereo in it already looking Original isn't too high on my list. I think if you are building it as Stock as you can putting in a Auto Sound would be neat. I haven't been around very many but the one I heard didn't do that good of a job. It may have been the Installer though.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post

Damnyankee36! Thats going many an extra mile,nice work! Ill look into the repro radios a bit more, but I might try simplifying.I dont usually listen to the radio so having an AM/FM conversion I could probably do without. As long as I can come up with a clean way to get my phone or ipod to sync up via bluetooth to a decent sound system thats all I need. I will be cutting into the dash to install the stock looking AC vents but was trying to not do more than that.
Yeah, it's a little over the top. I like a challenge now and then.

Have you thought of the two speaker systems that go in place of the factory dash speaker? I also saw a post a while back with speakers in the cab corners except behind the seat. You have to fabricate a plate to mount them. Pretty much a free air system. I think I would make an enclosure of some type.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #11
rvrfoot

This is mine.Name:  DSCN0618.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  46.3 KB
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket66 View Post
I built this thing behind the seat out of fibreglass. It holds the speakers and gives some storage too. The knob to open the door is a choke cable knob like the dash has.
Wow rustbucket, thats really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
I personally like the looks of the custom autosound. The nice thing is that it LOOKS like the OE radio and will fit the dash without cutting, but has all the modern features. Also I just watched an episode of My Classic Car and the guy from CAS said that they now have a blu tooth system "Add on" that will work with all their current radios. Now unfortunately they dont have the slidebar option for the pre 67 models yet but their current versions are very nice. I also like the fact that you can start with the base unit and add options as you go so you dont have to jump into the deep end all at once. You can start with the radio and add in amps, extra speakers, blu tooth, etc. later. And for the most part they are reasonably priced.
I like the add on thought, helps the old budget a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
This is mine.Attachment 1696029
Cassette with the chevy emblem, nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
I haven't been around very many but the one I heard didn't do that good of a job. It may have been the Installer though.
Yeah I have seen in a few of the auto sound threads some mixed reviews on reliability of either the retro sound or custom auto sound. Ill go back and take better notes. The ones that are close to $600 I would hope are more reliable. Ive got my hands full with just learning to paint my truck and get it all back together, Ive got time to get the sound system figured out but Id rather get as much homework done as possible. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #13
CRUZN66

I put the Retro-Sound in and could never get it to work correctly and so I had R&B Antique Auto Radio in Nashville rebuild my stock radio with the new technology and it works great. Wish I would have saved the money and not bought the Retro-Sound.

I do have the Retro-Sound kick panels and put my own speakers in them.

Rope

Last edited by CRUZN66; 10-06-2017 at 02:57 PM.
CRUZN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #14
AnobleL74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZN66 View Post
I put the Retro-Sound in the and could never get it to work correctly and so I had R&B Antique Auto Radio in Nashville rebuild my stock radio with the new technology and it works great. Wish I would have saved the money and not bought the Retro-Sound.

I do have the Retro-Sound kick panels and put my own speakers in them.

Rope
sorry to hear about your retro sound unit, i just installed a retro sound long beach, and i have too say it is awesome and has all modern features, bluetooth, sirius xm, phone , looks very original to truck, and works perfectly.
AnobleL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
racecougar

Just went through this selection process myself. I went with the Retrosound Long Beach, and I'm extremely happy with it.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
rvrfoot

I just upgraded.Name:  DSCN0987.jpg
Views: 2551
Size:  40.8 KB
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote