The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
jimelfarm

292 carb heat

I have a small Holley 4bbl on an offy intake. Routed the coolant water to the
intake manifold bottom plate from the left side of the head. The outlet I was going to route into the return heater hose. Just wanted to make sure this would circulate enough antifreeze to provide heat for the bottom of the carb on this old six cylinder. I used 3/8ths copper line and was going to put together something to T into the 5/8ths heater hose on the other end. Any comments? Any other options? I'd like to find out if this is wrong before finding out the hard way.
jimelfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 292 carb heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimelfarm View Post
intake manifold bottom plate from the left side of the head. The outlet I was going to route into the return heater hose. Just wanted to make sure this would circulate enough antifreeze to provide heat for the bottom of the carb on this old six cylinder. I used 3/8ths copper line and was going to put together something to T into the 5/8ths heater hose on the other end. Any comments? Any other options? I'd like to find out if this is wrong before finding out the hard way.

Here is an article on the subject with a good illustration included...

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/tec...take-manifold/

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
RichardJ

I did the same on my early style Clifford that doesn't have the internal passage. I used a thermostat housing that had two threaded bosses. One is for the heater hose, the other had a plug in it. The other copper line from the plate I made to fit under the manifold went around the back of the engine to a heater hose T like you mentioned.
Seems to work on mine, but I'm in a warmer climate.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
pritch

I ran mine as the by-pass line that the 292's have. Of course, you have to have it set up for the smaller line as opposed to the 1 1/4" by-pass line that the older 292's have.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
jimelfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Here is an article on the subject with a good illustration included...

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/tec...take-manifold/

LockDoc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
jimelfarm

Got it, thank's for all the help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
old51sedan

Quote:
I've got the same problem, I have a new set of Langston's headers for my 292 also. Thinking of running original intake, but still need some heat.
I also have a 235 6 cyc in my 51 chevy with a set of Fenton headers with original intake. The Fenton's (and William's) headers are pre drilled and threaded for heat. I just ran a small piece of copper tubing from each header into a plate under the carb. I think it's cleaner looking, no chance of water leak, and instant heat as soon as you start it.
I'm thinking of drilling & tapping these new manifolds and doing same thing with them. These are just my thoughts.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
jimelfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I've got the same problem, I have a new set of Langston's headers for my 292 also. Thinking of running original intake, but still need some heat.
I also have a 235 6 cyc in my 51 chevy with a set of Fenton headers with original intake. The Fenton's (and William's) headers are pre drilled and threaded for heat. I just ran a small piece of copper tubing from each header into a plate under the carb. I think it's cleaner looking, no chance of water leak, and instant heat as soon as you start it.
I'm thinking of drilling & tapping these new manifolds and doing same thing with them. These are just my thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #9
jimelfarm

Your right,the exhaust heat would be much better if you can get enough through the small copper lines. How did you fasten the copper lines to the exhaust manifolds?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
old51sedan

Quote:
Your right,the exhaust heat would be much better if you can get enough through the small copper lines. How did you fasten the copper lines to the exhaust manifolds?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the problem with the Langston headers. The Fenton & Williams headers both are drilled and taped for lines. I just ran copper lines one from each header to a plate under the carb, works great. Name:  IMG_0128.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  49.7 KB
hope this works
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote