The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
blackhawck

Transmission shop near San Antonio

Hello all. I'm in need of a reputable transmission shop in the San Antonio area. We live in Bulverde so anywhere near SA or New Braunfels would be great. I have a 71 K10 with TH350 an NP205 that leaks like a sieve. I have dealt with it until now as the transmission shifts fine, however I am working out of the country for 4-5 months at a time. My wife occasionally drives the truck and is good about checking the fluid level but I would rather her not have any issues with it. I need a reputable shop that will not see her come in with the truck and see dollar signs. Also looking at having a vintage air system installed. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Attached Images

blackhawck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
dfwright

Re: Transmission shop near San Antonio

For the transmission, I don't know of a shop directly, but I know a fellow in Universal City who I trust implicitly. His name is Richard Newman, and he owns Woody's garage in universal city - 210-658-6655. I don't think he does transmissions, but he does know everyone in the business, and can recommend a reputable shop.

He rebuilt my 350 engine for me, and did the final tune-ups once I got the engine put in, and the truck running well enough to take it to him. Richard, and his main mechanic, Forrest, are the only one's I trust with my truck, or those Richard recommends.

Forrest is a huge fan of these trucks, and knows them very well.

As far as installing the Vintage air, PM me if you decide to install it yourself. I put one in mine, and would be glad to assist. I live in the Bulverde area as well.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
blackhawck

Thanks for the info. We have friends in Selma and will head over there and chat with him. I'll definitely take you up on the help with the vintage air if I decide to install it myself. I'll be back for a few weeks in December and will see if I have the time to put it in.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
6T7 C10

AAMCO in New Braunfels or Access in San Antonio. I know the owner of the AAMCO shop (Robert Orlando). He is a life long gear head with personal hands on experience and he is former military. I have heard good things about Access transmission in NE SA as well. I believe a lot of repair shops send their transmission work there. Hope this helps.
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
Jacksonsatt

Kosub Transmission in China Grove on US 87. Not cheap but a lot of shops in San Antonio take their trans job to him.
Jacksonsatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
6T7 C10

I just saw your comment about air conditioning. Robert has installed tons of Vintage Air units from his past days at a hot rod performance garage. I do not know if he still does AC now that he has his own shop but if he does not he can steer you right.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
blackhawck

6T7 C10, I called and spoke to Robert at AAMCO. Sounds like a really good guy. He offered to have my wife bring the truck over and they would go through it and come up with an estimate, even offered to give her a ride back to Bulverde. We also talked about looking at the AC and see if what's on the truck is worth repairing or then onto Vintage Air, thanks for the referral.

dfwright, I will keep your contact for Woody's in UC for future reference.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
6T7 C10

That is great to hear and glad to help. When you give a referral and it does not work out you feel bad about it. I have known Robert since high school 30 plus years ago and know he has worked hard along the way to get his own shop. My name is Les and tell him hello. Best of luck with your vehicle.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

If ya wanna go up north, All Starr Transmissions in Marble Falls knows their way around and inside a transmission.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote