The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
61Chevy454

How hard is a rewire of a 61 with a universal harness?

My truck needs a rewiring desperately, and I mean front to back. The last owner butchered my harness. I'm fairly certain I'm going to be buying the Speedway Economy 12 circuit harness, as it's far cheaper than all the other harness, and the quality is apparently on par, and I've even seen that it's better. Has anyone used the harness in question?

I'm also going to buy a new 5 gauge dash panel and a set of electric gauges from Omega, as I figure there will be a lot easier to wire up than the original gauge panel? It also has an electrical speedo sender so I can adjust my speedo so that it matches my bigger tire size, I reckon?

It's a stepside so I figure the brake light wiring will be easier than it would on a fleetside?

How difficult is this undertaking for someone who has barely wired anything?

Is it doable?
61Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
72cs20

Re: How hard is a rewire of a 61 with a universal harness?

Sure its doable. Make sure the kit you get has good instructions, follow them carefully and take your time. But remember, cheap is not always the way to go. Is tech support from the maker of the kit available? This would be important to me. I am an electrician by trade and I needed to call tech support a few times for some clarification on some things. The correct tools are also needed and vital for a well done installation.

Personally I like American Auto Wire. They make excellent vehicle specific harness kits, tech support is available and have the wiring tools if you need them. A good way to go if you have little or no experience.

I used one of their kits on my 62 with outstanding results.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

You might check these guys out too.
http://www.wiringharness.com/
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
rvrfoot

I would buy the stock one its plug a play Very easy.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
61Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cs20 View Post
Sure its doable. Make sure the kit you get has good instructions, follow them carefully and take your time. But remember, cheap is not always the way to go. Is tech support from the maker of the kit available? This would be important to me. I am an electrician by trade and I needed to call tech support a few times for some clarification on some things. The correct tools are also needed and vital for a well done installation.

Personally I like American Auto Wire. They make excellent vehicle specific harness kits, tech support is available and have the wiring tools if you need them. A good way to go if you have little or no experience.

I used one of their kits on my 62 with outstanding results.
Would the stock harness really be that much easier to use than a universal one? Will it have a circuit for the radio?

The Speedway harness has gotten tons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
I would buy the stock one its plug a play Very easy.
That stock harness is like $500+ vs the Speedway one which people praise at $150 plus a new gauge cluster which I could use anyway.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
61Chevy454

I assume something along these lines is what you're suggesting? https://www.classicparts.com/mobile/...ctinfo/52-083/

Will these work with my under dash oil pressure gauge if it's electronic? All I know is that my under dash and engine bay wiring is an absolute mess and not.only looks awful, but I'm sure is a safety hazard.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
72cs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Chevy454 View Post
I assume something along these lines is what you're suggesting? https://www.classicparts.com/mobile/...ctinfo/52-083/

Will these work with my under dash oil pressure gauge if it's electronic? All I know is that my under dash and engine bay wiring is an absolute mess and not.only looks awful, but I'm sure is a safety hazard.
The kit you've linked to is the one for modified trucks. It is the one I used because my truck is modernized under the sheetmetal, therefore needing the extra electrical capacity. But if you're looking for a stock type replacement, they have much less expensive options.

Yes, it will work with your gauge, as long as your gauge is matched with the correct sender.

Don't be afraid to pay a bit more for a complete, well thought out harness. It will save you from unwanted frustration and make the job a success. Especially if you no or limited experience with electrical work
Old 10-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

My experience with M&H is that they have great customer service. To me that means a whole lot. My understanding is that they will build to whatever your needs/wants are.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Mack B

Quote:
Don't be afraid to pay a bit more for a complete, well thought out harness. It will save you from unwanted frustration and make the job a success. Especially if you no or limited experience with electrical work
This! If you have the ability to use a multimeter to figure out what terminals do what on things like the headlight switch or steering column or can read a schematic for them then you can have success using a universal kit. If not the extra money spent to have step by step instructions on what goes where will save you a lot of frustration.
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #10
61Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
My experience with M&H is that they have great customer service. To me that means a whole lot. My understanding is that they will build to whatever your needs/wants are.
I looked at their catalog and it seems they don't make a full kit for a 1961.
Quote:
The kit you've linked to is the one for modified trucks. It is the one I used because my truck is modernized under the sheetmetal, therefore needing the extra electrical capacity. But if you're looking for a stock type replacement, they have much less expensive options.

Yes, it will work with your gauge, as long as your gauge is matched with the correct sender.

I'm thinking I'll just spend the extra money on the factory harness so everything is similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
This! If you have the ability to use a multimeter to figure out what terminals do what on things like the headlight switch or steering column or can read a schematic for them then you can have success using a universal kit. If not the extra money spent to have step by step instructions on what goes where will save you a lot of frustration.
Is the harness I linked to a good one? I have no idea which company made it as it never said
Old 10-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Chevy454 View Post
Is the harness I linked to a good one? I have no idea which company made it as it never said
Having gone through this I'll tell the long version lol. 4-5 years ago I was in the market for a kit. Research lead me to the painless or the American auto wire kit. They where roughy the same cost and appeared to be basically the same.

I wound up going with the painless.
Pros: instructions where perfectly clear, wires clearly marked, plenty of slack for custom routing.
Cons: didn't come with any sockets for headlights, tail lights, etc. it was missing a few things I thought would be standard, I.e. A tach wire or a/c control wire.

That kit looks like the American auto wire kit, I can't comment on the quality but if it comes with everything pictured it's probably a better value than the painless kit
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:25 AM   #12
72cs20

Yes, as Mack B mentioned, that is the American Autowire classic update wire harness. It comes with everything to re-wire your truck. However, it does not come with new firewall grommets. But you can get those from any vendor.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
hotrodder

I purchased the Speedway Motors 12 kit. IT SUCKS! Go with another brand.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
61Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
I purchased the Speedway Motors 12 kit. IT SUCKS! Go with another brand.
Really?! ****, I already got it in the mail
I've heard nothing but good things about them except from you! What are your complaints about it?

Also, can I test every circuit by running it through power and ground on the battery if I need to. I'm pretty sure I'd blow a bunch of stuff if I did that, but doesn't hurt to see if I could.

Also, anything I should know about specific parts of wiring the truck that might be complicated specifically on this year/body style of truck?

is there supposed to be a cover under the gauge panel (I.E above the emergency brake lever?)? Can I remove the E-Brake lever if it doesn't work anyway?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
Sik5chevy

I never used that that one so I don’t know. Install, review and let us know. I used painless, it had awesome instructions, great technical support and the guy that owns the company is decent. I have heard good things about American as well. I mounted mine on the left inside firewall. The only other One i used was a ron Francis and it was decent.

Last edited by Sik5chevy; 11-07-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Info
Sik5chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #16
1Ratty64

If you have a fairly good grasp on 12VDC electrical circuits and a factory wiring diagram to reference, along with factory connectors that are in serviceable condition.....then you shouldn't have any problems using a universal harness. I personally opted out of buying a wiring "kit" and built my own harness out of a combination of harnesses and a fuse block from my local pick a part. Ended up spending roughly $50 and had all modern OEM quality components and wires.
1Ratty64 is offline   Reply With Quote