The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
jarrodblake

Heavy wheels On C30 dually, How Heavy is too Heavy?

I am in the middle of Building my Dream Tow rig. Its a 1970 C30 The plan is Convert it to disk brakes and hydro boost for my brake setup the disk brake kit I am looking at says I need 17 inch wheels or bigger. It currently has 16" dually wheels and I have been looking at getting a set of 20s however I can not find anything that I like. Except one set of wheel style but it turns out that it is a inner wheel only they don't make an outer version of it. So I thought about getting a set of 22 semi wheels and having them milled down but I don't like the lowpro tires for towing and I want to keep the tire size at 31 inches as that is the sweet spot for my gear ratio. So I came across a set of Military 20" X 8" MRAP DUALLY WHEELs in 10 X 11.25" BOLT HUTCHINSON ALUMINUM MAXXPRO PLUS. I would still have to run adapters but I can run a standard 20" tire in 285/50R20 the tires are cheap and come in high load ratings. However the downside is the wheels weigh 82LBS each without the tire! They would probably weigh 120LBS+ with the tire. I just dont know if it will affect the truck any. I ran hummer wheels and tires with the stock runflats inner on my last rock crawler Jeep LJ I built it had a 5.9 magnum with a dana 44 front and a 60 in the rear with 456 gears the wheels and tires weighed 168LBS each and you would have never known they where there. Its just I have been reading a lot of threads on the 22" semi wheels about having problems with them being heavy and they only weigh around 52LBS each.

That said other planed mods are,
I have a nv4500 getting ready to go in and I may diesel swap it. I can get a chevy 6.2 out of an RV with 28k on it for cheap, I already have a Hx35 holset I can through on it. I also have access to a 24 valve cummins but its not cheap and has a 180k on it.

The truck they will go on.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...00#post8068700

The 20" wheels I want but won't work because they are inners only. I have emailed the company about making a full set. It looks like they could just mill the bolt holes down on both sides to accept lug nuts.

Here is the Military 20" X 8" MRAP DUALLY WHEELs I love the looks of them I think they would look Great with a full polish!

So are they too heavy? I'm not concerned about gas milage.
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:44 AM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: Heavy wheels On C30 dually, How Heavy is too Heavy?

Like this one.
Attached Images

Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Jeff's bowtie's

I have the vision brand aluminum 19.5 bud wheels on my 68 K/30 they look similar to the black 20" wheels you posted in your first pic they are 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern so direct fit
Attached Images

Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
jarrodblake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
Like this one.
That photo shop has at least 30" wheels on it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff's bowtie's View Post
I have the vision brand aluminum 19.5 bud wheels on my 68 K/30 they look similar to the black 20" wheels you posted in your first pic they are 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern so direct fit
Those where the first wheels I came across when I was looking for wheels. They make a set without the fake rivets that I like however, I just don't like the 19.5 tire selection. I think in a few years it will be hard to find a good 19.5 tire. 20 tires are cheap and they have a good selection of high load rated tires.
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Jeff's have no rivets and too many trucks made with 19.5s to take those away anytime too soon. That's a good looking wheel that seems to fit your bill perfectly without taking the long road around the world spending money along the way to end up where you need to be

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Jeff's bowtie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Jeff's have no rivets and too many trucks made with 19.5s to take those away anytime too soon. That's a good looking wheel that seems to fit your bill perfectly without taking the long road around the world spending money along the way to end up where you need to be
X2 on on 19.5s being around for a long while there's way to many commercial and light duty trucks out there running 19.5s and I also don't care for the fake rivets I like the look without the rivets better
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
X2 on on 19.5s being around for a long while there's way to many commercial and light duty trucks out there running 19.5s and I also don't care for the fake rivets I like the look without the rivets better
That picture just "sealed the deal" for me ! , I've got a '67 cab i picked up not long ago that's in pretty good shape and now I'll start collecting all the pieces and parts to build one similar to that truck over the next few years . Does it ever end ? And yes to the NO rivets look .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
davepl

Quote:
That's a hell of a truck, Jeff. Love it. So many lowered and rubber band trucks rolling around these days I love seeing a truck that looks like it got all washed and dressed up for the retirement party after 40 years of serious work.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #9
Jeff's bowtie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
That picture just "sealed the deal" for me ! , I've got a '67 cab i picked up not long ago that's in pretty good shape and now I'll start collecting all the pieces and parts to build one similar to that truck over the next few years . Does it ever end ? And yes to the NO rivets look .
Thanks Grumpy I like it so much I'm building a K/30 short stepper out of a 69 C/30 longhorn
Old 11-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Jeff's bowtie's

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
That's a hell of a truck, Jeff. Love it. So many lowered and rubber band trucks rolling around these days I love seeing a truck that looks like it got all washed and dressed up for the retirement party after 40 years of serious work.
Thanks Dave I get a lot of thumbs up while out in it