The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
Whitelm

Leaking Trans Fluid

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I have a '71 k10 with a th400. When I drive it around just joyriding everything is fine. But when I have to use it for what it was intended, as a truck, and put it through the ringer, it leaks transmission fluid. Not just a little bit either. It does not leak when it is sitting, or when I take it for a casual drive. Only when I really have to make it work.
I have cleaned the outside several times trying to find out where it is coming from but I can't pin point it. The other day I could smell fluid so I stopped to take a look and found the front drive shaft soaked with fluid. Why does it only leak after hard use? Any ideas??
Whitelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Leaking Trans Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelm View Post
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I have a '71 k10 with a th400. When I drive it around just joyriding everything is fine. But when I have to use it for what it was intended, as a truck, and put it through the ringer, it leaks transmission fluid. Not just a little bit either. It does not leak when it is sitting, or when I take it for a casual drive. Only when I really have to make it work.
I have cleaned the outside several times trying to find out where it is coming from but I can't pin point it. The other day I could smell fluid so I stopped to take a look and found the front drive shaft soaked with fluid. Why does it only leak after hard use? Any ideas??

I'm not a transmission guy but I wonder if the cooler tube in the radiator is partially plugged and the trans is overheating when used hard. Has the truck ever had a transmission failure? If it overheats, I think it can blow fluid past the front seal. Hopefully others will chime in with other ideas..... or correct me if I'm wrong.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
extd56

There is a overflow tube I believe at the top of the transmission if it is over heating could be coming from there
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 AM   #4
GRADYS Performance

Try lowering your transmission fluid level a small amount on your dipstick. If it is run clear to full on the stick when checked at low temp it will expand when heated up with heavy duty use and come out the vent tube. Most likely that is why you are only having the problem during high load usage.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:14 AM   #5
Whitelm

The transmission was rebuilt a year ago. While I was at it I had the Radiator taken through a complete R&R. I don't think that the trans lines are plugged. I have not noticed any fluid coming from the breather tube. Every time I have noticed a heavy leak the fluid has been running down the front drive shaft, and the front of the transmission has been wet.
Whitelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The front driveshaft is on the right and so are the dipstick tube, module, and kick-down cable. I suspect one of those is not seated/sealer properly and higher pressure gets past it. I don't know automatics that well at all, but isn't their, or aren't there, pressure relief valves. Might could be something to do with that not working properly as well.

My front seal leaks and has been leaking since I've owned the truck. The only real issue with it is leaking while parked a long time, like over winter. That is about the only time I need to top it off, and maybe needs some once by summer. I tow, haul loads in bed, and get on it and it doesn't lose fluid. I hope to get it on a lift this winter and reseal everything from crank seals to pinion.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote