The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
Leinie

Starter Flywheel problem

My starter keeps disengaging from the flywheel ring gear and it's getting worse, to the point I gotta do something about it.
It's a 72 blazer 350/th350
Do these flywheels have a removable ring gear ? I recall my cousin replacing the ring gear on something once

How hard is it to replace the ring gear?

I know I'll need to move the engine a bit to get the flywheel out and that is no problem .

Should I just look for a junkyard flywheel with good teeth ?
Does anyone have one cheap ?

It seems the things only wear in 4 spots from what I've seen and heard. Why couldn't the a$$hole engineers mount the damn thing with 3 bolts or make it reversable so one could use up the other teeth
Thanks for any help
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
cdowns

i just got a new flex-plate at carquest for $29
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:19 PM   #3
Class of 69

Leinie, I can get you new parts at 40% discount at Stillwater m Motors. I would never put a used flex plate back in. You didn't say if the Blazer is 2wd, or 4. Either way, moving the trans back about 6 inches is all you need. Let me know if I can help.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

2nd that, if you have a flex plate that has chewed teeth, you would be best off to replace with new.....i would replace the starter also, or at least the drive gear on the starter. it is not uncommon to have 3 or 4 shims under the outside corner only to bring the starter drive to flexplate clearance into spec. when you get it all back together, you need 1/8 " clearance tween the starter shaft & the outside of the flexplate(many starters have a 1/8" checker rod for this). If the clearance is too tight, you need to shim under both bolts......too loose, cut the shims in half & shim the outer bolt only. Dont forget the front strap on the starter, & if the bolts look "bent", replace them(you can find them on the help rack at most auto parts stores) Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:57 PM   #5
Leinie

Looks like I'll just go to NAPA and get a new one. Thanks for the help.
Class, I appreciate the offer but I'll just buy local. It's a 4x4 so I'll move the motor rather than unbolting the t-case and driveshafts. I can hold the motor from overhead. That t-case is to damn heavy to work on from the underside.
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:01 PM   #6
Class of 69

10-4, just thought I'd offer, since we're so close and it would be genuine Chevrolet!! Good Luck!