The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Horns

OK, I had a thread posted in the electrical section, but that, in retrospect, didn't actually ask the question I had. My bad. I'd like to know what the Delco Remy number is for the high and low note horns that would have been on my '70 truck when new. I went to a place that sells D-R horns but they tried to sell me a couple of Chinesium horns (which I had demonstrated prior to purchase) and they sound like a goose with a hernia. So, I'm looking to do it right. The air-powered horns my F-I-L had installed sounded like a Fiat (and I always hated the sound), but they are finally toast. Or, as an option, maybe some newer trucks have OK sounding horns that I can get from a yard. I'd prefer to buy new, though. Why buy a horn that is already old? I do realize that that's my preference.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: Horns

This what you looking for?
https://www.classicindustries.com/sh.../parts/?q=Horn
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
I get an "oops, your browser doesn't support our site" even after turning off all the Firefox protections. Ima try to find a parts man with a paper catalog to get those horns. I want new US made horns that don't sound like a wounded goose. Maybe I'm asking too much?

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
B. W.

Can't help you with the horns but I'm wondering ..... how do you know what a goose with a hernia sounds like? That one made me laugh!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #5
Ironangel

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...rts/35198.html At that price a set of cleaned up used horns would sound as good or better.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...rts/35198.html At that price a set of cleaned up used horns would sound as good or better.
Agreed!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Horns

I took a set off a wrecked 94 caddy and installed them in my dad's 56. Those thing blast! You will hear them with no problems.
I think they where $5.00 for the pair.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
demian5

I installed a set of Hella Air Horns.

Greatest

Thing

Ever
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:06 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Mine sounds like an adolescent goose with tonsillitis.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:19 AM   #10
jeffahart

You guys' horns sound that good. Mine sounds like an eighty year old goose with a hernia, tonsillitis that smoked three packs a day and just took a shot of cheep tequila. It's a pathetic honker! I don't even bother honking at people that cut me off. Such an annoying pathetic attempt of of honk would only cause some young whipper snapper to come back and cut me off again, just to get more laughs out of my horn! Embarrassing!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Either I drove junk for so long that didn't have working horns or I just have different priorities in an emergency situation because my reaction is never to hit the horn. I don't need a horn and only have them work to have all systems operating properly. I'll hank to let someone know they effed up after the fact, but I go for steering and brakes and check mirrors as a first reaction. A horn is mostly for saying hello to people when I pass. About the only use for accident prevention I can think of for me would be someone not seeing me behind them when backing out of a parking spot.

I've always wanted to hook up and assortment of horns so when I do use my horn after someone messes up it will make a concert of horns so the perp will think they pissed everyone off, not just me. Really though, you honk and they might think you are a jerk. Everybody honks and they know they're the jerk

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
68panelman

You guys can play doctor with your pathetic goose horns. There's a little 1/4"? 12 pt screw on the horn body you can adjust.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You guys!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #14
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
You guys can play doctor with your pathetic goose horns. There's a little 1/4"? 12 pt screw on the horn body you can adjust.

Yep you can even make them peep peep just like the road runner.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Either I drove junk for so long that didn't have working horns or I just have different priorities in an emergency situation because my reaction is never to hit the horn. I don't need a horn and only have them work to have all systems operating properly. I'll hank to let someone know they effed up after the fact, but I go for steering and brakes and check mirrors as a first reaction. A horn is mostly for saying hello to people when I pass. About the only use for accident prevention I can think of for me would be someone not seeing me behind them when backing out of a parking spot.

I've always wanted to hook up and assortment of horns so when I do use my horn after someone messes up it will make a concert of horns so the perp will think they pissed everyone off, not just me. Really though, you honk and they might think you are a jerk. Everybody honks and they know they're the jerk
I saw a utube video where a guy had a little "toot toot" sound for alerting people (who were probably texting) that the light had changed. He had another sound like a regular horn, and one more that sounded like a locomotive whistle.

I like your idea of a medley of horns! Maybe the stupe causing trouble would get a clue. But probably not. It's kind of funny- I'm looking to replace my horn(s), because I use that button maybe three times in a given year. Third digital extension, on the other hand...

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Horns

How about these. I can flip the switch under the dash and it's a loud horn.
Turn the volume up!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
applebmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
OK, I had a thread posted in the electrical section, but that, in retrospect, didn't actually ask the question I had. My bad. I'd like to know what the Delco Remy number is for the high and low note horns that would have been on my '70 truck when new. I went to a place that sells D-R horns but they tried to sell me a couple of Chinesium horns (which I had demonstrated prior to purchase) and they sound like a goose with a hernia. So, I'm looking to do it right. The air-powered horns my F-I-L had installed sounded like a Fiat (and I always hated the sound), but they are finally toast. Or, as an option, maybe some newer trucks have OK sounding horns that I can get from a yard. I'd prefer to buy new, though. Why buy a horn that is already old? I do realize that that's my preference.
I bought 4- 70's, Buick/Caddy horns off Ebay Original stuff. Sound great. $70
applebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

My goose's health issues are beyond a simple procedure. The truck also has one of those train horns and it doesn't work at all. I've just never messed with it because that's how much it matters. It will let out a sound when passing a friend I'd like to say hello to and that's all that matters. As far as letting someone know when they made a JoJo move I usually get a chance to give a dirty look. My '92 Suburban with huge air bag horn button takes finding the right place to squeeze out it's sick goose sound. I don't think anyone can even hear it. Times like this I think about doing something special and extra effective but the thought fades away.

Tim

Old 12-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Truthfully, I might use the horn a couple of times per year, but I want a decent sound when I do use it.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
harpo231

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Sometimes the jerk don't know !
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #21
HO455
Post Whore

I have used boat horns several times in the past. They don't fall under the same government regulations as automotive horns and are LOUDER! They for the most part have a different sound which you may or not like. I feel it is important that people are informed when they are driving in an uncourteous manner.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote