The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
applebmw

Adding vent to sending unit or charcoal canister

Anyone add a vent to there in cab gas tank sending unit? Installing Holley Sniper and my tank has no vents or return lines....
OR...added a charcoal canister if I use sump unit, seems to be best in my mind. If I buy new tank, it will be rear top fill unit, cha-ching..trying to keep from throwing $$$ at it.......
applebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Adding vent to sending unit or charcoal canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebmw View Post
Anyone add a vent to there in cab gas tank sending unit? Installing Holley Sniper and my tank has no vents or return lines....
OR...added a charcoal canister if I use sump unit, seems to be best in my mind. If I buy new tank, it will be rear top fill unit, cha-ching..trying to keep from throwing $$$ at it.......

Most cab tanks have a vent line. It goes up the back side of the cab on the passenger side and back down to the tank.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Adding vent to sending unit or charcoal canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post

Most cab tanks have a vent line. It goes up the back side of the cab on the passenger side and back down to the tank.

That system is used as a vapor separator for the fuel tank, so that raw fuel won't end up in the vapor canister. My '70 does not have it. I think that it was installed on '72 and up trucks.

Someone who has installed this setup will be along eventually to tell you how they did it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
applebmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
That system is used as a vapor separator for the fuel tank, so that raw fuel won't end up in the vapor canister. My '70 does not have it. I think that it was installed on '72 and up trucks.

Someone who has installed this setup will be along eventually to tell you how they did it.
Believe you are correct, looking at tank replacement, 72 has vent in them, they can be bought for 70 truck, but if spend $$ on new tank, it is going in the back. Hoping someone can tell me how to add charcoal canister......
Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Jrainman

I have done this , I first tried it by buying a 72 sending unit to utilize the vent that is already there ,but the sending unit only lasted about 2 months before it went bad giving me bad fuel gauge readings and I bought the better one (brass Float) vs plasic float .

I ended up drilling , tapping and then soldering over a brass fitting in my original sending unit , No problems at all . in the picture you can see were I put the bulkhead fitting in for the return line, above to the left of the sending unit , the vent hose runs to the passenger door ,I pulled out the upper rubber grommet door stop and put the vent line through that exsisting hole, fit 1/4 hose perfectly and vents with no issues.
Attached Images

Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Adding vent to sending unit or charcoal canister

My 71 C-10 had all of this in it factory. I took it out when I did the 305 TPI years ago. I put the tank in the bed and ran vent lines so no need for the canister.

The canister is only to keep the gas smell down when venting.
Found this on the H.A.M.B site
vent line should be 1/4" , and have atleast two large 3" loops in it the loops helps prevent the vapors from coming out as they are heavy and settle in the bottom of it . you can install a electric valve in the vapor line that opens when the ignition is keyed on ( did this for one car ) its a tank switching valve from a chevy 78 k 20 truck it has no vent option as its non emissions ( exempt for time ) also have done vapor canisters from late model vehicles as they are smaller and cheaper new . 4th gen impala works good .

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 12-31-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
applebmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
My 71 C-10 had all of this in it factory. I took it out when I did the 305 TPI years ago. I put the tank in the bed and ran vent lines so no need for the canister.

The canister is only to keep the gas smell down when venting.
Found this on the H.A.M.B site
vent line should be 1/4" , and have atleast two large 3" loops in it the loops helps prevent the vapors from coming out as they are heavy and settle in the bottom of it . you can install a electric valve in the vapor line that opens when the ignition is keyed on ( did this for one car ) its a tank switching valve from a chevy 78 k 20 truck it has no vent option as its non emissions ( exempt for time ) also have done vapor canisters from late model vehicles as they are smaller and cheaper new . 4th gen impala works good .
On Canister, they still call for a vent line to tank? don't they? If not... What should I look for? 70's Impala Charcoal Canister??
Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
applebmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
I have done this , I first tried it by buying a 72 sending unit to utilize the vent that is already there ,but the sending unit only lasted about 2 months before it went bad giving me bad fuel gauge readings and I bought the better one (brass Float) vs plasic float .

I ended up drilling , tapping and then soldering over a brass fitting in my original sending unit , No problems at all . in the picture you can see were I put the bulkhead fitting in for the return line, above to the left of the sending unit , the vent hose runs to the passenger door ,I pulled out the upper rubber grommet door stop and put the vent line through that exsisting hole, fit 1/4 hose perfectly and vents with no issues.
Thanks