The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
DieselSJ

87 interior A-pillar trim

Previous owner started replacing interior plastic trim and they are a perfect off-white color. I need to finish but am only finding black parts. Anyone have a source for the interior pieces? I need both A-pillar pieces, plus the section that goes above the windshield.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: 87 interior A-pillar trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
Previous owner started replacing interior plastic trim and they are a perfect off-white color. I need to finish but am only finding black parts. Anyone have a source for the interior pieces? I need both A-pillar pieces, plus the section that goes above the windshield.

Thanks!
All the aftermarket parts will be black and you'll have to dye them the color you want. I do have the windshield piece, it's blue so it too, will have to be dyed.

USA1 Industries is probably going to be your best bet. You can either get the dye from them or they will even dye the parts you buy from them.

https://www.usa1industries.com/produ...cat=444&page=1

https://www.usa1industries.com/headliner-moldings/
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
NJ C10 Guy

Quote:

Thanks!
You can prep and spray them with SEM color coat. It works really well.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
DieselSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
All the aftermarket parts will be black and you'll have to dye them the color you want.
Well, all I can say is these are not painted or dyed. They are solid color all the way through. I had them off and scraped the back side and they are not a black piece that has been painted over.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
TKCR

Quote:
Well, all I can say is these are not painted or dyed. They are solid color all the way through. I had them off and scraped the back side and they are not a black piece that has been painted over.
Well yeah, that's because they are probably original parts. What I was saying, is if you need to find more trim, they will most likely need to be aftermarket trim. And all those come black and have to be dyed.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
TKCR

Mystic White is actually a 79-80 color
https://www.usa1industries.com/produ...roductid=20337
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
DieselSJ

Quote:
Well yeah, that's because they are probably original parts. What I was saying, is if you need to find more trim, they will most likely need to be aftermarket trim. And all those come black and have to be dyed.
He must have been extremely lucky and found some NOS parts stuffed away in a climate controlled warehouse because it looks new and is still pliable, unlike the rest of the pieces which have yellowed and are so brittle that you can't put a screw in them without cracking or breaking it.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
rainamy

Quote:
He must have been extremely lucky and found some NOS parts stuffed away in a climate controlled warehouse because it looks new and is still pliable, unlike the rest of the pieces which have yellowed and are so brittle that you can't put a screw in them without cracking or breaking it.
All depends. Maybe he bought it online from a truck being parted. I just brought home a truck with the blue/green late 70s interior. The plastic is soft and pliable - can bend the door panels near the lock hole and it doesn't distort or break.

Depending how and truck was kept (garaged?) and on the part of the country it's in, sometimes the plastic ages well.... or like my white truck, turns chalky and brittle to falling apart
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #9
70GMCer

USA1 Industries sells colors. I just bought blue "A Pillar" ones & they are perfect.

They are solid color, not dyed.

Don't know what other colors they sell

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Mattchu60

How do you know they are color the whole way through from USA? I always assume their stuff was just the same as everyone else's except they were dyeing it first.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu60 View Post
How do you know they are color the whole way through from USA? I always assume their stuff was just the same as everyone else's except they were dyeing it first.
It states they come in black AND the original colors. Now I usually get the seat hinge covers, it states in that description, that they are black but can can be painted to color match your interior. So I'm going to assume the interior pillar pieces are NOT painted/dyed.
The only problem is, Mystic is not an "Orginal Color", so it is not on the list. It would however be a custom color. DeiselSJ, I would call Randy at USA1 and see what he can do for you.

https://www.usa1industries.com/1981-...ding-left.html

You can also order this sample kit, at least it would give you an idea if their Mystic actually matches what you already have.

https://www.usa1industries.com/produ...at=1147&page=1

Last edited by TKCR; 05-30-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
TKCR

Well I have an update on USA1 Industries moldings. I called them and found out, they are all dyed with original colors. They are NOT molded with the color, they are in fact black moldings that have been dyed. And this is the case with all the interior plastic parts.
Like I said in an earlier post, I have bought the seat hinge garnishes, and they were dyed. But saying that, I want to stress that they were done very nicely!!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #13
70GMCer

Quote:
Well I have an update on USA1 Industries moldings. I called them and found out, they are all dyed with original colors. They are NOT molded with the color, they are in fact black moldings that have been dyed. And this is the case with all the interior plastic parts.
Like I said in an earlier post, I have bought the seat hinge garnishes, and they were dyed. But saying that, I want to stress that they were done very nicely!!
Thanks for that update.....

I could have sworn they told me they were injected colors.

Looking at the ones I bought, they don't look dyed to me.

They are colored (blue) all around & look GREAT....

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
bennylava

Quote:
All the aftermarket parts will be black and you'll have to dye them the color you want. I do have the windshield piece, it's blue so it too, will have to be dyed.
What are your thoughts on color matching all this stuff? For a full interior restoration. My 87 needs that. And I'm having doubts that I can make it match so that its not 15 different shades of tan. Sure the plastics will all be the same color of SEM paint. But then there is the carpets. Then the seats. Then the headliner. It almost seems worth it to take the truck to a pro and just pay through the nose to get the whole interior refurbished completely so that it looks new again. Let them worry about all the color matching issues. Just trying to get a feel for how it all actually pans out in the real world when you do it yourself.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
What are your thoughts on color matching all this stuff? For a full interior restoration. My 87 needs that. And I'm having doubts that I can make it match so that its not 15 different shades of tan. Sure the plastics will all be the same color of SEM paint. But then there is the carpets. Then the seats. Then the headliner. It almost seems worth it to take the truck to a pro and just pay through the nose to get the whole interior refurbished completely so that it looks new again. Let them worry about all the color matching issues. Just trying to get a feel for how it all actually pans out in the real world when you do it yourself.
Well I did mine myself, I think it turned out just fine. I changed my interior from Maroon to Charcoa/Grey. It takes time, I got samples from everyplace for everything. And then I picked from that. I reused all my original parts. I had to go with aftermarket seatbelts because I couldn't find OEM Charcoal belts. I have some now, but i might just keep the new aftermarket ones. There was no way I was going to let someone else do the interior. That was the fun part, to see it change and to know I was the one that did it.

Or do this: http://www.usa1industries.com/produc...t=0&featured=Y
Attached Images